Long time lurker, first time poster

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Magnum440d100

Jan 30, 2022
Indiana
Thanks for having me!

I’m posting in this forum because my stove is a mid 80’s earth stove 100 series.

I’ve owned this home with this stove for 2 years (Oct 2019), but collectively have only used this stove for 4 months (had to go 2200 miles away 2 months after purchasing the home). I just got back in mid November 2021.

No history of the stove. It does have repairs done at the door opening corners, which is common. No history of when the chimney was cleaned, so in early December I got up top and cleaned the chimney. Then about a week ago, I cleaned it again. The pics I posted show the buildup after burning wood after the first cleaning I did in December, before the second cleaning about a week ago. I have never used an older wood burning stove before. Does this seem normal/average/excessive?

I run the stove around 400°-500° according to the thermometer on the corner of the stove. According to my infrared, the temps registered on the stove thermometer are <100° low. Am I burning too low temp? What is a safe max temp? My home is 1500 sqft roughly with the additions. The stove is in a 24’X24’ living room. Anything over 500° according to the infrared, and it’s on the verge of uncomfortable.

I burn mostly ash, as that is what’s most commonly available. It was 2 years seasoned when I bought it, and 2 years passed until I used it. Stored in a pole barn out of the elements.

This last load I got is a mix of Osage mostly (90%), some mulberry, some weeping willow, and some ash. Seasoned for 1 year, moisture content about 22% (varies between logs, but 22% was the max I found out of about 20 logs)

I have a 5 acre property, mostly walnut, some ash. The plan when I bought the place was to split what’s already felled and naturally fallen. Get it stacked, get it seasoned. But it’s snowed now, making it a challenge to get to everything. So I’ll just buy/burn.

One thing I’ve noticed about this stove though, is that it EATS wood. I go through roughly 15-20 pieces of wood a day/ night. Is this normal for this stove, or even this era stove? I’ve used “newer” stoves, that used about 7-8 pieces for the day and into the night. If that’s normal, then I’ve grossly underestimated my wood needs for the season.

I know the answer already, but is there anything to do to “improve” the stoves efficiency?

I’m open to all hints/tips/suggestions/constructive criticism.

Thanks in advance!

574E8DE3-E289-42B8-849C-DAC2E3F3923D.jpeg 53D97C39-91E2-4651-AD59-BDEDDC27F9AC.jpeg A38646A9-5DB2-40BD-BA8B-CCA61BB957D0.jpeg 84AAC00C-E3C4-48D6-BA07-1C86DF1CC021.jpeg

Welcome. A modern stove is going to use less wood because it is much more efficient. It looks like the old stove is burning a bit dirty. This most likely is due to the wood moisture. Drier wood gives off more heat. The stove should produce more heat and burn cleaner if the osage orange, walnut, and mulberry wood are allowed to season for 2 yrs. Ash may be ok in a full year of seasoning. Willow is not the best. It is very high moisture content and when finally dry, low btu. But as long as it is fully seasoned, it is ok to mix.

Long time Lurker, I have put secondary burn tubes in about three of these Earth stoves and even a glass window on one and yes it will improve them. But it will take some work and a understanding of secondary burn systems. I like begreens suggestion of a more modern wood stove which is less work. I have gotten some good wood stoves over the years with secondary burners and glass windows for under $500.00 and much less. You just need to keep an eye on Marketplace and Craigslist. Those older wood stoves can really go through the wood. Have you looked at the prices of newer wood stoves some sell for less than $700.00

I do think this is dirty indeed.
I suggest cleaning often (and get drier wood).

I also suggest to add a flue thermometer probe (not magnetic surface). Mount it 18" above the stove. That will give you a better insight in how you burn (and how much energy goes up the flue). Keep it below 850-900 and above 300 or so.

Reactions: Magnum440d100
Long time Lurker, I have put secondary burn tubes in about three of these Earth stoves and even a glass window on one and yes it will improve them. But it will take some work and a understanding of secondary burn systems. I like begreens suggestion of a more modern wood stove which is less work. I have gotten some good wood stoves over the years with secondary burners and glass windows for under $500.00 and much less. You just need to keep an eye on Marketplace and Craigslist. Those older wood stoves can really go through the wood. Have you looked at the prices of newer wood stoves some sell for less than $700.00

This stove does have 2 tubes on the back wall that stick up about 4 inches. Along with that, there’s a galvanized(?) pipe that runs up the chimney. Would those be secondary burners?

This is the best pic I have at the moment. You can barely see the 2 tubes/pipes on the back wall. Not seen is the pipe that runs up the chimney. This pic is from the December cleaning. (November 18th 2021 burning to December 12th 2021, plus October 2019 to January 2021 burning. Unknown cleaning before that).

I’d take a current pic, but there’s a fire goin right now, and I got it at 400° steady. Inside temp of the house is 78°, and outside is 17°. I don’t want to mess with the burn (plus there’s Osage in there right now. Not wanting it to throw fireworks everywhere right now!!! Hahahaha).

DB445358-764D-4CB5-98E3-A13EDCC61EEF.jpeg

I do think this is dirty indeed.
I suggest cleaning often (and get drier wood).

I also suggest to add a flue thermometer probe (not magnetic surface). Mount it 18" above the stove. That will give you a better insight in how you burn (and how much energy goes up the flue). Keep it below 850-900 and above 300 or so.
Is there a “good” brand of thermometer to go with?

Unfortunately, I arrived late in the season. I was supposed to arrive back here in March/April 2022 to put together firewood for next winter. (Wether it was purchased or from my own property). I was not supposed to be back this winter. So I’m limited to what’s available for purchase, taking their word for the dryness. (I’ve bought from the same trusted source, or from a seller willing to test and show moisture content). Almost bought some 30% that was said to be seasoned. Yeah, no.

As far as cleaning, I don’t mind cleaning during the season. If I have to clean every other month, I’m fine with that. That’s only about 3 or 4 times a season. Not a whole lot. Plus it’s cheap insurance. It takes 45 minutes total to clean. That includes getting the ladder out, taking the cap off, putting the cap back on, putting the ladder away. It’ll just be part of living on the homestead lol

Im just here to say I like the Earth Stove wood holder!
Same! It was a factor in purchasing this house/property, actually. Not IT, but the thought process behind it.

I figured if someone paid that much attention to detail as to purchase the “accessories”, then that attention to detail would be applied to the rest of the house/property. Sadly, it was not so, as I’ve come to find out as I’ve been doing repairs and discovering the “unseen” issues.

And no, I did not get a home inspection when I purchased this place. I made a $40k cash offer on a $90k property, and settled at $55k. I knew it needed work and I’m fine with that.

I’m actually ecstatic that it has the wood burning stove. I had a new heat pump installed in 2019, and it struggles to keep the house at 69/70 and runs constantly. The wood stove gets it to mid/upper 70’s. Heck, 80’s if I pushed it!

Stay warm, folks!

Condar sells decent flue probes. I have one

This stove does have 2 tubes on the back wall that stick up about 4 inches. Along with that, there’s a galvanized(?) pipe that runs up the chimney. Would those be secondary burners?

This is the best pic I have at the moment. You can barely see the 2 tubes/pipes on the back wall. Not seen is the pipe that runs up the chimney. This pic is from the December cleaning. (November 18th 2021 burning to December 12th 2021, plus October 2019 to January 2021 burning. Unknown cleaning before that).

I’d take a current pic, but there’s a fire goin right now, and I got it at 400° steady. Inside temp of the house is 78°, and outside is 17°. I don’t want to mess with the burn (plus there’s Osage in there right now. Not wanting it to throw fireworks everywhere right now

I’d take a current pic, but there’s a fire goin right now, and I got it at 400° steady. Inside temp of the house is 78°, and outside is 17°. I don’t want to mess with the burn (plus there’s Osage in there right now. Not wanting it to throw fireworks everywhere right now!!! Hahahaha).

View attachment 291177
Thanks for the picture. Yes those two tubes were an early attempt to bring in secondary air. I am sure it helps some but not as efficient as the newer secondary air tubes they developed later. Some Earth Stoves had a steel plate below the flue to keep the fire from going straight out the flue this also helped keep more heat in the stove. This stove has had some good years of use and I am glad it is keeping you warm. This summer you can sometimes find some good deals on used wood stoves as they prices go down you might try to pick up something a little newer and will save on firewood and give you a hotter and longer burn times. Stay warm.