Looking for a indoor boiler add on or a new wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll get a bit biased here for a moment - but even though it is likely pretty hard to do, try to picture yourself in the future after you've installed the boiler and are now in the living with it phase. That is where ease of maintenance and how much of it there is comes into play - and a nominally larger initial sticker price becomes less important, or maybe even worth it. I have only experienced living with mine (speaking of gasifiers), but even with how easy it is to clean & maintain (don't think there are any that are easier), I still sometimes let it slide longer than I should, or it's still a drag thinking about having to do it, even though it only takes 5 minutes. The thoughts of having to take panels off &/or go through more hoops than I have to now makes me more glad I got what I got - even if I might have found a bit less expensive boiler at the time. Varms don't even have door gaskets on them - another thing not to worry about that others have posted about chasing at times.

Defintely understand t
I agree john. The point to my post was looking at 3 different boilers; boiler with pressurized exterior storage, boiler with incorporated pressurized storage and a boiler with incorporated unpressurized storage all pretty close in price.

But your right. All types of scenarios to go with and different ways to make it work for your situation. Unfortunately for most people I don't think can afford a lamda, ie: Vedolux 450 comes to mind at 10k just for the boiler. But we are all different with different budgets. Luckily there is a lifetime of reading on this forum.
Definitely understand that each of the 3 you indicated are different. I am definitely no expert, just know about the system I have. I also know about budgets, it took me 2 years to find the right deal. For me the biggest cost factors were the accumulator tanks and the plumbing. I found someone that welded his own tanks from used propane tanks and was also willing to do the install for me - this was a HUGE cost saver for me. I took a quick look online and saw a list price of $7950 for an Effecta 35kw (which has all the computer controls I referred to). If one were to go with 400/500 gallons of storage I would think you could get a tank done for well under $2000. For 1800 sqft I would think this would be more than enough horsepower. AHONA in Burlington Flats, NY is going to be the new Importer of Effecta (carries VIGAS as well) and has accumulator tanks.

What you can make storage from that is locally available is a big variable cost factor. I was feeling pretty behind the 8 ball until someone pointed me to a big scrap yard an hour away. They had a mountain of used propane tanks - felt like I struck gold. I covered all my storage needs and an expansion tank for less than $1000. Getting the welding done on them pushed it to just a bit over that.

Last edited:
I just have to look and see what is the best route This is all great stuff just started looking into indoor boilers. But like I said just difficult to find out what you need. This site definetely helps. The wood stove I have does a great job but I have been interested in the indoor boilers. Plus you can set it up for your hot water as well I like all the options. Thanks for all the info, keep it coming.

I'll get a bit biased here for a moment - but even though it is likely pretty hard to do, try to picture yourself in the future after you've installed the boiler and are now in the living with it phase. That is where ease of maintenance and how much of it there is comes into play - and a nominally larger initial sticker price becomes less important, or maybe even worth it. I have only experienced living with mine (speaking of gasifiers), but even with how easy it is to clean & maintain (don't think there are any that are easier), I still sometimes let it slide longer than I should, or it's still a drag thinking about having to do it, even though it only takes 5 minutes. The thoughts of having to take panels off &/or go through more hoops than I have to now makes me more glad I got what I got - even if I might have found a bit less expensive boiler at the time. Varms don't even have door gaskets on them - another thing not to worry about that others have posted about chasing at times.
I would completely agree, get the boiler you want, the difference in the total cost of the project will not be very great and over the many years you will own this (and the contiuos tweaking you will do) you will never regret it.

What you can make storage from that is locally available is a big variable cost factor. I was felling pretty behind the 8 ball until someone pointed me to a big scrap yard an hour away. They had a mountain of used propane tanks - felt like I struck gold. I covered all my storage needs and an expansion tank for less than $1000. Getting the welding done on them pushed it to just a bit over that.
Nice! to me having enough storage was a key to doing this, especially for those with mechanical skills, this is a place you can safe some serious $'s.

Status
Not open for further replies.