Looking for a smallish wood stove for fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi.
I would like to have a small wood stove in my 3 season porch's fireplace. I'm looking for something small, but with a glass front to see some flames.

My Fireplace dimensions:
Front 31
Rear 24 (roughly)
Height 25.25
Depth 15

The smallest I've seen lately is the Tractor Supply Defender 1100L
Front 22.5 THIS WORKS
Rear 22.5 THIS WORKS
Height 29.25 BZZZZT!
Depth 21.5 This should work. I want it sticking out a little anyways.

Any other smallish wood stoves I can look for? I would probably do a chimney liner and chimney cap. I'm not sure how to do the interface where it comes through the damper, and how to keep heat from going up there, and/or how to insulate that.

Thank you.

Is this a masonry fireplace or a prefab?

20190302_161123.jpg20190302_161159.jpg

Reactions: ispinwool
Good, it's masonry. A top vent stove is not going to work. It looks like you will need a rear vented stove, but the problem is the low lintel height. There used to be some stoves that would work but they are no longer sold. The alternative is a small insert.

Modern stoves need decent draft. How tall is the chimney on this fireplace?

You could always set a stove Infront of the fireplace and put a thimble into the chimney higher up. It's kind of a pain but opens up your options allot.

It is a Dutch colonial, so floor 1, floor 2, plus the attic.

I am unclear on how to do the part where it transitions from stove outlet through damper into chimney.

There are SO many stoves that are too tall, too deep. I have plenty of front width, some back width, not much height, and not much depth. I'm OK with the depth, because I'd like it to poke out for extra heat just a little anyhow. Just need to find the right one. I'm sure I'm not alone in this quest.

How big is the 3 season room and how does it connect to the rest of the house there are small stoves that will fit they are just quite small.

Have you seen the MF Nova line

You could always set a stove Infront of the fireplace and put a thimble into the chimney higher up. It's kind of a pain but opens up your options allot.
It's a low lintel, not many stoves have a 25.5" flue collar at the top. A small insert may be the best solution.

It is a Dutch colonial, so floor 1, floor 2, plus the attic.
Does the chimney for this area go all the way up past the 2nd story roof?

It's a low lintel, not many stoves have a 25.5" flue collar at the top. A small insert may be the best solution.
Yes I was talking about going into the chimney above the lintel with a new hole

Reactions: begreen
How big is the 3 season room and how does it connect to the rest of the house there are small stoves that will fit they are just quite small.

Have you seen the MF Nova line
It is connected by 2 French doors (single pane) on either side of the chimney. The chimney has a fireplace on the living room side also, which we will keep as a fireplace. The room is roughly 9 1/2 feet out X 15 feet front to rear.

What is "MF Nova line"?

Does the chimney for this area go all the way up past the 2nd story roof?
Open to suggestions on "small insert".

Yes, chimney goes all the way up past upper level roof.

No, don't want any "new hole". Just want to use what is there.
Ok then you are going to be very limited due the the small size of your firebox.

Yes, this is why I am asking here. There must be something that works.
Nothing I can think of hopefully someone else comes up with something

Search "Lopi Answer dimensions" for specs on the insert I have. It's great for my use. I am in Marlborough by the Sudbury line close to the Wayside Inn, if you are nearby and would like to see it.

Last edited:
What is "MF Nova line"?
They make an insert too. Your fireplace is not very deep. Not sure which one would be best.

What are the rear height and width dimensions? I'm wondering if a Lopi Answer, Iron Strike Country Striker, Drolet Escape 1500, or Pacific Energy Neo 16 will fit in there.

Last edited:
First post is that rear is 24", roughly. My Answer is a tad less. Hope measurement is same at top and bottom in fireplace.

Looks like the Answer might just squeak in there. I would look at this one, and check out the others too.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Hi.
I would like to have a small wood stove in my 3 season porch's fireplace. I'm looking for something small, but with a glass front to see some flames.

My Fireplace dimensions:
Front 31
Rear 24 (roughly)
Height 25.25
Depth 15

The smallest I've seen lately is the Tractor Supply Defender 1100L
Front 22.5 THIS WORKS
Rear 22.5 THIS WORKS
Height 29.25 BZZZZT!
Depth 21.5 This should work. I want it sticking out a little anyways.

Any other smallish wood stoves I can look for? I would probably do a chimney liner and chimney cap. I'm not sure how to do the interface where it comes through the damper, and how to keep heat from going up there, and/or how to insulate that.

Thank you.

I did something similar with a Pleasant Hearth 2417 woodstove. I had to cut down the legs to make it fit and the installation is less than ideal but it does heat our fairly well insulated two story home of roughly 3300 sqft. We are going on our third heating season with this stove and are getting things dialed in.

Here are two threads regarding my installation experience and testing and modifications.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...all-challenges-questions-observations.173074/

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...outside-air-intake-build.182865/#post-2455905