Looking for a source of Harman P61 shield screws and retainers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SciGuy

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2007
Constableville, NY
I'm putting the final touches on dolling up a Harman P61 and would like to replace the shield screws and their retainers. For some reason they don't seem to show up on a parts diagram to yield me a part number. The screws are 5/16" headed self tapping type but unlike anything I'm finding in the local hardware. While we're at it, I'd also love to find a source of the appropriate bolts for the distribution blower.

Thanks for any informed replies.

Hugh

Reactions: railfanron
Mountainview,and I think ESES have the complete hardware breakdowns for Harman.Sometimes dealers have to buy hardware in bulk,10 per bag,100 per bag,and a dealer can sell you a lower number.Ya,I have seen some Harmans have a strange thread on their sheet metal screws.

I'm putting the final touches on dolling up a Harman P61 and would like to replace the shield screws and their retainers. For some reason they don't seem to show up on a parts diagram to yield me a part number. The screws are 5/16" headed self tapping type but unlike anything I'm finding in the local hardware. While we're at it, I'd also love to find a source of the appropriate bolts for the distribution blower.

Thanks for any informed replies.

Hugh

If you have a Menards, Home Depot, or Fastenal store bring one of your old screws along with the part that the screw goes into ..

If you have a Menards, Home Depot, or Fastenal store bring one of your old screws along with the part that the screw goes into ..

Sadly neither HomeDepot nor Fastenal carry what I'm looking for.

Well,if it is sheet metal screws,sometimes self tapping,it is easier to drill out the outer hole,and use a larger screw.The front quarter edge panels in my Integra are almost to that point in time.Some Harman,and other stove panels go into a "speed nut" threaded wire clip fastener,you just have to get the new clips,and proper screws.In a perfect world,all holes would have "nutserts" in them,but would greatly add to the cost of the stove.On my Harman,the sheet metal screws that are the back panels,the threaded clips are some weird thread,(sheet metal thread),I have purchased a cheep clip/screw kit,for next time I take it apart.

Try your local auto parts store. They usually have an assortment of retainers and screws. Also as suggested McMaster-Carr.
Ron

Sadly neither HomeDepot nor Fastenal carry what I'm looking for.
The clip fasteners was what I was trying to describe Fastenal can get them and the screws that will fit them.it doesn't cost very much to get both new screws and fastener.

The clips are called J- nuts, the auto industry uses them all over today.

The clip fasteners was what I was trying to describe Fastenal can get them and the screws that will fit them.it doesn't cost very much to get both new screws and fastener.

Aha, good point to just change them all up as a unit. I'd been hoping to find a source of the OEM screws and retainers but that's really not critical if I change them all out at once. Keeping 5/16" heads will help anyone servicing down the line who is accustom to the originals.

Thanks for the push in a logical direction.

Hugh

Fasnel I bet could order it. Wife's Power Steering pump off her Rolls Royce they could get. Now that was strange part.

Sadly the closest Fastenal to me is nearly an hour away. That makes ordering online a lot more attractive than making at least two trips to stop in, decide what's needed, order it and then come back once it's in:( No wonder Amazon is doing so well with those of us out a long ways from built up areas.