Looking for a wood boiler installer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arturo10

May 16, 2016
Vancouver, Wa
Hi folks,
Art, here. I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for a recommendation on an experienced indoor wood boiler installer. I'm sure I could get my plumber to do the job, but I'd like to find someone who has a lot of experience with this type of heating.
I live in southwest Washington state, about 10 miles north of the city of Vancouver, WA (not the Vancouver in BC!)
My understanding is that outdoor wood boilers are banned in my state, so I guess my only option would be an EPA rated indoor wood boiler. Is that correct?

My current home 4,000 sq ft and is heated by a forced air unit that burns gas. I'd like to use the wood boiler as the primary heat source and domestic hot water heater, with the gas burner as a backup. I'm not sure if I should use a heat exchanger with the forced air unit, or should I retrofit the house with some nice radiant baseboard heaters with hot water?

And again, if anyone knows of a good installer, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Art

Hi folks,
Art, here. I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for a recommendation on an experienced indoor wood boiler installer. I'm sure I could get my plumber to do the job, but I'd like to find someone who has a lot of experience with this type of heating.
I live in southwest Washington state, about 10 miles north of the city of Vancouver, WA (not the Vancouver in BC!)
My understanding is that outdoor wood boilers are banned in my state, so I guess my only option would be an EPA rated indoor wood boiler. Is that correct?

My current home 4,000 sq ft and is heated by a forced air unit that burns gas. I'd like to use the wood boiler as the primary heat source and domestic hot water heater, with the gas burner as a backup. I'm not sure if I should use a heat exchanger with the forced air unit, or should I retrofit the house with some nice radiant baseboard heaters with hot water?

And again, if anyone knows of a good installer, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Art
I do not know what the laws say about outdoor wood boilers in your state. I do know however that lots of companies are now producing EPA approved outdoor gasification boilers. There are pros and cons for both indoor and outdoor boilers. I love my outdoor boiler because it keeps the mess and danger of burning wood away from my house. If you think you want an outdoor boiler I would double check the laws. I can't imagine they would be banned if they are EPA approved gassers since the smoke they produce is the same as an indoor EPA approved gasser. Sorry I can't help you with an installer in your area either. I will recommend though that if you are in any way capable do as much of the install as possible your self. It's good to learn as much as you can about whichever unit you go with as you can. Nine times out of ten when something goes wrong with them you will be the best mechanic for the job, especially when it's below freezing and in the middle of the night or on a weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.