Looking for a wood burning insert for a small/medium sized home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nbarr7655

Nov 24, 2020
Michigan
Hello all! I stumbled upon this forum within the past week and have been lurking and doing tons of reading. In that same time I have been looking into all kinds of different wood stove inserts. This is where I need some help to either narrow down my list OR, possibly get recommendations on makes/models I haven't even seen yet.

We currently have a masonry fire place that is completely emptied out on the inside of it except for the steel surround. We had someone come and check things out and inspect the chimney to see what our options were to get this going and he told us we needed an insert, so here we are! I have been doing quite a bit of research on different models and so far here is what I am stuck between:

Timberwolf Economizer EPA (EPI22)
Drolet Escape 1400-i OR1500-i (I believe the 1400 is sold at Home Depot of all places)
Vogelzang VG1820
Osburn 1700
Napolean S20i

That list pretty much goes from least to most expensive. With that being said, is the Drolet Escape 1400-i from Home Depot any good? The guy we had do our inspection said
"stay away from the ones that home depot and Menards sell, I get a lot of calls on those and they just aren't built well at all"
- is that true?

The wife and I would like to stay below $2,500 for the insert but at the same time, I don't want something that will crap out in just a few years.

HEATING AREA: We have a practically brand new LP furnace that we currently use to heat the house (about 1200 sq feet split between 1 floor and basement). This wood stove would be to heat just the first floor, so about 800 square feet or so.

Thoughts? Am I asking too much for too little? Am I heading in the wrong direction? Feedback much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

TL;DR:
Looking for a wood insert for our home
Heading about 800 square feet
Looking to stay below $2500 for the stove

There are some cheap units sold at big box stores, some made in China and with parts that are not replaceable. However, Drolet is made in Canada and well supported. The Osburn is a dekuxe version of the Drolet with the same parent company, SBI. If you are a Costco member you might also compare their Drolet insert pricing.

What are the inside dimensions of your existing chimney. Were you advised that you will want to install a stainless insulated flex liner in addition to your new stove?

There are some cheap units sold at big box stores, some made in China and with parts that are not replaceable. However, Drolet is made in Canada and well supported. The Osburn is a dekuxe version of the Drolet with the same parent company, SBI. If you are a Costco member you might also compare their Drolet insert pricing.
Very good to know, with that being said, should we avoid either of those I mentioned? The Drolet mentioned is from Home Depot and the Vogelzang is from Menards.

What are the inside dimensions of your existing chimney. Were you advised that you will want to install a stainless insulated flex liner in addition to your new stove?
Dimensions are as follows, or at least very close:
Back height: 16 inches at shortest point
Front height: 25.5
Back width: 30.5
Front width: 38
Depth: 18

As far as a liner goes, yes, that was advised and planned to be done. I was questioning insulating the liner but for the cost of it, I assume much better safe than sorry and it can certainly provide no harm.

I have an Osburn 1600 insert (the 1700 is the newer version for the newest EPA standards) and im very happy with it. Its solid steel, well made, and its easy to deal with SBI or your local retailer for parts/issues. It also fits into smaller existing masonry fireplaces as it can protrude more than other inserts.

Ours is on the first floor with an external 24' masonry chimney/6" liner and it heats our entire 1600 sq foot two story cape with ease. In fact, I rarely even need to stuff it unless I'm going for a major overnight burn. Our draft is very strong and we have good insulation. I'd say its more than adequate for 800 sq feet and you'd probably only be running it at half capacity most burns.

20201123_134541.jpg20201123_142405.jpg

I have an Osburn 1600 insert (the 1700 is the newer version for the newest EPA standards) and im very happy with it. Its solid steel, well made, and its easy to deal with SBI or your local retailer for parts/issues. It also fits into smaller existing masonry fireplaces as it can protrude more than other inserts.

Ours is on the first floor with an external 24' masonry chimney/6" liner and it heats our entire 1600 sq foot two story cape with ease. In fact, I rarely even need to stuff it unless I'm going for a major overnight burn. Our draft is very strong and we have good insulation. I'd say its more than adequate for 800 sq feet and you'd probably only be running it at half capacity most burns.

View attachment 267616
View attachment 267619
Where is the mastiff ?lol

Thank you for the input, Caw! I actually saw another one of your posts regarding the Osburn and that is what lead me to check them out! :) I see the Mastiff approves! Ha!

Attachments

• 20201124_140106.jpg
    20201124_140106.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 180
Lol sbi mascot.my wiener dog does not like her picture taken

Gordon is all about pictures. Ive got a thousand of these lol. Maybe he was a model in a previous life? ;hm

20200904_143548.jpg

Sorry to hijack this thread...dogs are addictive. I still stand by the Osburn as a great stove though :)

Reactions: marty319
To add to to my question...

We visited a local Hearth and Home store a few weeks ago and the insert that was recommended, one of the 2 they sell, was the Quadra-Fire Expedition 2. This unit is definitely near the top of price range so my question is, is it well worth it over the other brands I mentioned?

How well this stove will work over time is TBD. It's been out less than a year. The Expedition II is also a set it and forget it style stove with no air control, just the ACC for starting. After that, the insert burns at a fixed rate. It is the sibling of the new Vermont Castings Montpelier II.

How do you plan on using the insert? 24/7 heating or mostly nights and weekends? Do you have a Pacific Energy dealer in the area? If so, also compare the PE Super LE insert and their value line, the TN20 insert. The Regency i2450 is also worth a looksee.

How well this stove will work over time is TBD. It's been out less than a year. The Expedition II is also a set it and forget it style stove with no air control, just the ACC for starting. After that, the insert burns at a fixed rate. It is the sibling of the new Vermont Castings Montpelier II.

How do you plan on using the insert? 24/7 heating or mostly nights and weekends? Do you have a Pacific Energy dealer in the area? If so, also compare the PE Super LE insert and their value line, the TN20 insert. The Regency i2450 is also worth a looksee.

I have looked into PE a little bit but not much. i will check those ones out! To answer your question, we plan to use this as some heating during the day but primarily at night I would say. I would like to keep it going as much as possible but plan to sort of run low and slow for the most part.

Low and slow is catalytic territory.

It has a blower. PE tends to put them on the sides of the insert so that they don't pickup ash, pet hair so much.