Looking for a wood splitter and wedge - suggestions, please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to purchase the $999 Huskee mentioned above, but opted for the Ariens from HD for a few more bucks:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-1...Splitter-917011/204248703#product_description

It was $1199 -10% with (online) Lowe's coupon, honored without the CSR even asking for the coupon code on the phone, and with free delivery. It arrived ready to use, prepped and delivered by a local Ariens dealer (shipped direct from Ariens via them rather than via HD). I chose to spend a bit extra because of the Suburu engine, which has better reviews than the B&S of the Huskee (nearly all the 1-star reviews at TSC reference problems here).

So far, one or two-pull starts, even in the cold/wet of winter, and has easily handled everything I've thrown at it (which included a good collection of gnarly and knotty trunk pieces accumulated over several years of hand splitting). I do 4-5 cords a year and also was considering something larger at first, but can't imagine needing it. Very happy with this, beyond expectations.

I bought a mtd 20 ton splitter 15yrs ago from sams club, Starting to use some oil but has been great to me. I have had one nasty knot filled round in 15 yrs that it would not split I would not go out of my way to get a larger one.

I don't know much about what is being offered today, but I'd stay away from any model that requires purchasing manufacturer only replacement parts. Hydraulic parts are cheap if you buy them from hydraulic suppliers.

I have that craftsman splitter. I bought it last year. It has chewed through everything that I have given it so far. I have split maybe 10 cords so far and not a problem. Starts first pull every time. I have found that getting a four way wedge to a problem for this unit. I haven't been able to find one out there. If anyone knows of one that's compatible feel free to let me know.

I bought a mtd 20 ton splitter 15yrs ago from sams club, Starting to use some oil but has been great to me. I have had one nasty knot filled round in 15 yrs that it would not split I would not go out of my way to get a larger one.

Yep. The 1988 20 ton MTD has been getting it done, well, since 1988. Put a $99 Chicom HF engine on it a few years ago because the Briggs was pissing me off.

I don't know about that particular Sears model, but in general, in the Hydraulic world, Front Trunnion Mount Cylinders are often considered a superior design compared to rear clevis mounts. The overall unsupported length is only 1/2 as long and consequently there is less potential side load on the rod guide and piston. There is nothing wrong with a rear clevis mount if it is properly designed.

Interesting, this is the first post I have seen suggesting Front Trunnion Mount Cylinders are not necessarily an inferior design for a log splitter application. There were some instances of cracked trunnions on the 27T Troy-bilt splitters.

I went with the 27 ton Ariens. Purchased at Home Depot 18 months no interest 2 years ago. Made in Wisconsin, USA and the Subaru / Robin engine is excellent.
Nothing has stopped it yet. I know that some say the cycle time is too slow, but I'm 65 and I'm not in any hurry. Besides, speed can get one hurt, especially if you're just an amateur cutting firewood for yourself.

Thanks for the suggestions. We've got a great saw already and I suppose we can definitely use that for cutting some of the larger pieces of wood that a 'possible' wedge wouldn't handle. Do you really think a 16 ton electric or 22 ton would be enough? Obviously you do and since I know nothing about this....just wondering why one ton over another, etc.

I don't know what the firewood market is like in VT, but here in WA you won't save much if anything simply buying rounds - and the savings certainly wouldn't justify the purchase of a spliiter

Horizontal only splitter with log lift, 4 way wedge and out feed table. Anything else like those tsc 22 ton are an expensive compromise.

And don't be fooled by the model names; 22t, 30 ton etc. -- most of them are not representative of the actual hydraulic output. Do the math yourself to see what you are really buying.

Hmmm...I would suspect that you would need some easy splitting wood for a 20/22 ton unit to be effective with a 4 way.

Horizontal only splitter with log lift, 4 way wedge and out feed table. Anything else like those tsc 22 ton are an expensive compromise.

And don't be fooled by the model names; 22t, 30 ton etc. -- most of them are not representative of the actual hydraulic output. Do the math yourself to see what you are really buying.

How do I figure this out? Thanks.

How do I figure this out? Thanks.

Area X pressure. Area is figured as
area_formula.gif

5" ram = r @ 2.5" so r x r = 6.25
6.25 x 3.14 = 19.625 inches of area
19.625 x pressure (typical would be in the neighborhood of 2500psi) so 19.625 x 2500= 49062 pounds of force or 24.5 tons.

So I just spoke with Bob from freewebs.com. Really nice guy. I just ordered one from his website. He said he is a bit behind. Should take a few weeks to get it out. Looking forward to it.

19s cycle time = too slow.

Agree. I watched a youtube and it was painfully slow. My Ariens 22-ton has a 12s cycle time. That TB 27 ton is over 50% slower. If the cycle time is your controlling factor for work time (and for me, it is, as I'm not generally splitting really heavy/large/knotty stuff), then a 60-minute job with the Ariens might take 90 minutes with the TB, without a constant effort to keep the piston from extending and retracting its full length. An extra seven seconds per split would drive me nuts!

BTW, whether you go Lowe's or HD, don't forget to use a coupon. 10% is a given at either, but if you are lucky/skillful you might get HD to honor a 20% Harbor Freight coupon.

I notice the $999 Huskee at TSC now has a Kohler engine. That unit has a 13s cycle time. Unless truly needed, I just can't see paying more for a 27 or 35 with a much longer cycle time, unless I'm missing something. I mean, how much big stuff really comes an average homeowner's way that a 22 won't handle?

The only reason for a higher tonnage is because of the want to use a 4 way wedge. That's pretty much it.

Not completely true. I have split some stuff with my big boy that would have puked a 20/22 ton unit. But I will agree that for the vast percentage they do a fine job.

The other thing about the high tonnage units is that you don't have to consider or think about log placement. Just put it up there and split it.

Reactions: TreePointer
Status
Not open for further replies.