Looking for Advice on Buying a Dutch West 2461

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LoveWarmHomes

Oct 14, 2023
Upstate New York
Hi Woodstovers, I'm thinking about buying a Dutch West 2461 for $500. The owner says he's owned it for 9 years and didn't have any problems with it. He replaced the cat 4-5 years ago, and I've asked him to check the current condition as I understand that's an expensive part to replace and can be easily damaged. I'm just wondering if this is a good deal, or if this stove is old and used enough that $500 isn't really the bargain it looks to be. Most stoves in good condition I see being sold in this area are at least $800 so this looked like a good deal. Thanks in advance!

Cats have a life of around 12,000 hours. If the curent cat is 4-5 years old, and he heated with it full time, it’s in need of replacement.

If you search for 2461, you’ll find many posts from people who own these and that can help give you a good idea of parts to inspect when looking at the stove.

It's a decent heater. Make sure it's in good condition and has not been overfired or neglected. The cat is not that delicate, but there are basic rules for burning with one. IIRC, a replacement cat is about $150 at Midwest Hearth.