Looking for Gas Firepit advise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sthepro8

Mar 24, 2015
United States
I just built a new deck, 2nd story over my walk out basement. It's TimberTech and I want to install a gas fire pit i'm going to build myself. I had a 1" gas line run from my main to the pit location.

I'm going to create a rectangular fire pit table, probably frame it out and use a TimberTech for the veneer. I've already ordered a burner and pan. the American Fireglass 48"x14" which I believe is rated for 180k-200k BTUs.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BM1XLOS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Questions I have:
  • Should I install a pressure regulator or just a key valve?
  • Do I need to use aluminum framing or is wood ok?
  • Do I need to worry about a heat barrier between the fire pan and the floor boards? I expect it to be raised about 12-24" above the deck.
  • Any other tips or tricks you would recommend?

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 12.34.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 12.34.26 PM.png

By no means an expert on the construction of what you wnat,
but I've seen & sold many different types & based on what I've
learned, I suggest the following.

A regulator shouldn't be required, unless you are burning LP.
I would use either aluminum or stainless steel studs & box the framing with dura rock.
Then you can finish with tile, stone or cultured stone the outside for a nicer presentation.
If you make the base of the unit with dura rock on the bottom, you should be good to go.
I would box in the top, picture framing the burner, with studs as well to support the dura rock,
the burner & the fireglass or stones you are nesting the burner tubes in.
I would also hinge one side for access to the underside of the pan just in case...

HTH, & others may add their $.02 now...

Status
Not open for further replies.