Looking for New Stove Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We Have been Heating with Wood Stove/Inserts for many years. There is a lot of really good information here, thank you for that, on this site and I have been doing alot of reading. I am a NON Cat Girl :) and I have narrowed my choices down to the following. Was Hoping on your Opinion of which you think is the Best. I like the step tops for the current installation. In my experience about 40 Years Worth :( (Yes I am OLD) I have Loved our Quadra Fire Insert, We burned an Osborne wood/coal insert for many years too. And recent Lopi Stove that was left at our Cabin. So if you could let me know how you feel about these choices that I am currently pricing. Thanks in Advance :)

(1) Quadra Fire 5700 Step Top Black
(2) Lopi Liberty Next Gen Frye
(3) Pacific Energy Super 27 LE
(4) Canyon ST310 Iron Strike

The Super is 2 cu ft. The PE Summit LE is in this league. Tell us more about the house floorplan and where the stove is going to be located. Is there a flue already in place? If so, what diameter?

I have a preference for deeper fireboxes like on the Canyon, 5700 and Summit for N/S or E/W loading. The Liberty has a shallower firebox that lends itself more toward E/W loading. The ST310 Canyon has been around for a long time. It's a sold stove. The PE Summit LE has a unique firebox and baffle system that I like plus regulated secondary air for long burn time.

We live in a Big Log Cabin.......The Great Room currently has an Osbourne Insert in the Fireplace. I am looking to replace the stove in the older portion of the Cabin where the kitchen, breakfast room and sleeping area (upstairs) is located. The flue is in an existing chimney. 6" is what we currently have.

Last edited:
I have a preference for deeper fireboxes like on the Canyon, 5700 and Summit for N/S or E/W loading. The Liberty has a shallower firebox that lends itself more toward E/W loading. The ST310 Canyon has been around for a long time. It's a sold stove. The PE Summit LE has a unique firebox and baffle system that I like plus regulated secondary air for long burn time.

Yes, I don't mind the E/W Loading, and I do like a deep firebox also. This is why I am torn between these stoves. :(

How large an area will the stove be heating? How well insulated is the cabin?

In this group, the Osburn 2400, 3500 or Drolet HT3000 should also be considered.

The Old Side of the Cabin is about 2400 SF Two Stories. The Walls are Full Round Log, Chinking outside, foam and batt insulation and Chinking Inside. The Old and the New are separated with doors to close off the Great Room.

The Old Side of the Cabin is about 2400 SF Two Stories. The Walls are Full Round Log, Chinking outside, foam and batt insulation and Chinking Inside. The Old and the New are separated with doors to close off the Great Room.
Definitely sounds like 3 cu ft size is warranted.

Reactions: DebconLady