Looking for recommendations to replace damaged blazeking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
179B259B-A0BA-4F29-B571-E92C2206466C.jpeg 681F00FE-1138-412A-B349-338EDA76815D.jpeg 521BE16B-54C8-4373-A792-36542B1D4D00.jpeg
Thanks everyone for your ideas - I really would like to get to the bottom of why the stove failed so we can avoid it with the next one.

If it is dampers, we will install one or more before the new stove is put in. I’m not sure how to tell if there’s a problem with the door or seals.

Nothing was inspected. The pics I add below were sent to the store and then relayed to the BK Canada rep (we were told). From those, they made the call that we overfired the stove.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the chimney is what caused a bunch of overfires, if that were the case my stove woulda been destroyed by now as well..
Mine is 34-35 ft, installed a damper last season, so I ran a few years without one, and never an overfire.
There's more to this story than what we know right now...
Open door, bad door or glass seal, are about the only two things that could cause the stove to overfire...IMHO

Oh, and to the OP, I'm not saying you intentional destroyed your stove, just to be clear..
You are right but with that much draft a small leak in a gasket of ash plug that would not do anything on a 15 to 20 foot chimney will turn into a blow torch. The thermostatic air supply could have been faulty. Or any number of other problems.

Was the stove when purchased new?

Yes it was - at the end of Oct in 2015.
Oh wow. That is sad. At this point will be hard to get down to the cause oof what caused the damage due to the stove is unusable. But you should try to do as much you can to find out the cause, you don't want to have another failure like that regardless if is another BK or a different stove.
I am sure there is members here with similar setup like yours and using the stove for many years without have that kind of failure. Good luck and wish you the best.

View attachment 230217 View attachment 230218 View attachment 230219 Thanks everyone for your ideas - I really would like to get to the bottom of why the stove failed so we can avoid it with the next one.

If it is dampers, we will install one or more before the new stove is put in. I’m not sure how to tell if there’s a problem with the door or seals.

Nothing was inspected. The pics I add below were sent to the store and then relayed to the BK Canada rep (we were told). From those, they made the call that we overfired the stove.
Oh, wow, she's been hot, I'd like @BKVP to chime in here..
I dunno if I alerted him right though..

I don’t have any stove recommendations but what did the combustor look like if the rest looks like that?

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Reactions: Marshy
Yes the current setup with enough damper could be controlled easily with any of of those stoves.

As I said I was talking about the current setup, which has no damper.

As I said I was talking about the current setup, which has no damper.
I personally dont consider adding a damper a different setup. Just adjusting the current one. It takes less than 20$ and 10 mins. But i get your point.

Well just sayin, that sure looks like an over fire to me, in fact many over fires.

Put in Steel Cat if nothing else is wrong. Just curious did you clean the cat every year? Ie take it out and put it back? If so you need to replace gasket too. They do wear out and so many hours. Anything but clean wood burned?

Put in Steel Cat if nothing else is wrong. Just curious did you clean the cat every year? Ie take it out and put it back? If so you need to replace gasket too. They do wear out and so many hours. Anything but clean wood burned?
That is way beyond a new cat

Reactions: Highbeam
Hey, you can F up an iron ball if you try hard enough

Reactions: showrguy
By any chance is it possible that some of your wood was contaminated by salt? aka coastal climate?

Have your draft tested, .05" water column is normal, anything over .10 is to high and needs to be addressed, creative thinking may need to be involved because a damper may not be the exclusive problem solver, but perhaps with manufacture help and draft testing increasing the size chimney from 6" to 8" (more volume) and a damper can bring the draft down to normal, or a different cap that can resist the winds, local advice from a competent / certified installer is really needed here.

Have your draft tested, .05" water column is normal, anything over .10 is to high and needs to be addressed, creative thinking may need to be involved because a damper may not be the exclusive problem solver, but perhaps with manufacture help and draft testing increasing the size chimney from 6" to 8" (more volume) and a damper can bring the draft down to normal, or a different cap that can resist the winds, local advice from a competent / certified installer is really needed here.
I ran draft #'s at 2.3 - 2.6 for 2 years before adding a damper, if this was just a draft issue mine shoulda been over firing and decintigrating like the OP's in no time.... I had zero issues with either..
Why is the steel a red color ??

They are not going to nor is there a need to change out 32 feet of 6" chimney for 8". A damper or 2 will fix it.

I ran draft #'s at 2.3 - 2.6 for 2 years before adding a damper, if this was just a draft issue mine shoulda been over firing and decintigrating like the OP's in no time.... I had zero issues with either..
When steel gets really hot it gets that red powder on it i am not sure why.

Yours is a different stove in a different house with different wood. It will react differently. I do think there had to be some failure for that to happen though. But we have no way to know what without inspecting it

He said he got it good and hit before locking it down. Do you suppose this stove spent too much time in bypass?

The parts that are heavily eroded/corroded are mild steel. That red color might be rust or just a weird camera flash.

He said he got it good and hit before locking it down. Do you suppose this stove spent too much time in bypass?

The parts that are heavily eroded/corroded are mild steel. That red color might be rust or just a weird camera flash.
No that red is very common in over fired stoves

I had a really strong draft when I had the princess, if I wasnt on top of things including making sure the door gasket was tight I could chew through a cat in 2 weeks.

Reactions: bholler