Looking for some input on Switching from ZC FP to Free Standing PE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nz3000owner

Apr 11, 2018
CT
I currently I have been running a Napoleon NZ3000 for the last 6 seasons. It does the job but for various reasons I'm considering removing it and going with a PE Alderlea T6 or similar, maybe an Oslo 600, or Hearthstone equinox.

That said I've never had a free standing stove. The NZ3000 is rated max BTU of 60,000 and the T6 is 99,000. Can I expect to really get that much more heat out of this free standing stove vs the NZ?

Has anyone out there gone from a ZC to freestanding? What is your experience good or bad?

What are the groups thoughts and experience with these 3 stoves?

I'm leaning towards the PE because it seems to be a good product with good reviews here. Pretty simple and solid design. I like having one door vs a double door and there knife edge seal design, and the option of getting a low and slow fan with it.

Reactions: BobMcG
I wouldn't be driven too much by peak output ratings. They are often more for marketing than real world use. You will not be driving the stove like a locomotive and not be seeing peak output for long periods of time. That said, going freestanding will reduce or eliminate the need for a blower and much more of the heat generated will stay in the room. The T6 is a stout, simple, low maintenance heater. It produces a nice steady even heat and holds it for slow release as the fire dies down. The F600 (Oslo is the F500) is a cast iron stove that will be much more radiant. If the plan is to create an alcove for this stove where the NZ3000 was, check alcove clearances first. It might not meet the space dimension requirements. The Equinox is the third type of construction, soapstone. It is a beautiful rock, but has some caveats that go along with these stoves. Stone cracking is an expensive concern.

There are other welded steel stoves that have a cast iron jacket that are worthy of comparison with the T6. Each has their own features that may appeal to you. We love the swing-away trivet top on the T6 and use it almost daily. Note, however that the Alderlea T6 gasket is not knife-edge, like the Summit. That has not been an issue for us as long as the gasket is a PE OEM door gasket. Other good cast-iron jacketed stoves to consider are the Jotul F55, Quadrafire Explorer III, and the catalytic BK Ashford 30. In soapstone the Woodstock Progress Hybrid is worth a look too.

Thanks begreen! I’m still trying to figure this one out. I think I’ve made my mind up today that I am going to pull the NZ3000 out and go freestanding. I just don’t know what one to go with.