Looking for wood burning insert with largest possible view

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The cat being mounted front and center and removable without any tools is an improvement. You mentioned being bolted in and no reason to touch the cat? I got the impression you always remove the cat when cleaning an insert?

I don't want to have this thread closed, it's a purposeful thread. On a BK, there is no reason to remove the cat when you clean the flue. That's all I'm trying to say! If you choose to do so, then fine. It's pointless to do so every season though...

The cat being mounted front and center and removable without any tools is an improvement. You mentioned being bolted in and no reason to touch the cat? I got the impression you always remove the cat when cleaning an insert?

I don't want to have this thread closed, it's a purposeful thread. On a BK, there is no reason to remove the cat when you clean the flue. That's all I'm trying to say! If you choose to do so, then fine. It's pointless to do so every season though...
Except it cant be removed without replacing the gasket and stressing the cat. So how is that an improvement. I am not trying to get the thread closed i just dont get why i was accused of attacking bk when I pointed out something I see as an issue.

Generalizations about cat stoves confuse the issue. They are often constructed differently. If it's not necessary to remove the cat on BK stoves when flue cleaning then that is a plus. But the methods and outcomes for a flue cleaning a BK insert may be different from a Buck, Regency, Lopi, VC, Appalachian, Kuma etc.. That's why specifics like webby is pointing out are helpful. Likewise noting specific cat stoves/inserts where cat removal is necessary for cleaning is also helpful information.

_g

Happy wife, happy life
I knew I was gonna get at least of these. That goofy saying clearly originated from someone's wife. Just because something rhymes, doesn't make it true! In full disclosure, I am not, have never been, nor plan to be, married. I do, on the other hand believe that folks should try to get along and decide what they want, together. Down with tyranny!

I knew I was gonna get at least of these. That goofy saying clearly originated from someone's wife. Just because something rhymes, doesn't make it true! In full disclosure, I am not, have never been, nor plan to be, married. I do, on the other hand believe that folks should try to get along and decide what they want, together. Down with tyranny!

I have seen the error of my ways. The divorce will be finalized next week. I am looking forward to having the house all to myself and spending my days tending my new wood stove. Knowing how efficiently my new insert burns will warm my heart in a way that no woman ever could. :)

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I have seen the error of my ways. The divorce will be finalized next week. I am looking forward to having the house all to myself and spending my days tending my new wood stove. Knowing how efficiently my new insert burns will warm my heart in a way that no woman ever could. :)
I think this is the perfect response to my satirical post, thank you for taking it in the spirit it was intended. That said, from my experience, you get a hotter flame when you wear the pants in the relationship, and not the skirt. Or, maybe just a flameout. Really, what do I know about being married? Its probably like taking investment advice from a beggar.

All that aside, a modern insert with big glass is really awesome, and so much more practical than an open fireplace (I have both). My woman of about 12 years would tell your wife exactly the same thing. She LOVES the insert, we have fires it ours from October through March, and we sit in front of it and enjoy the show, instead of the boobtube, all winter.

Hi all.

During installation, is it possible for the installer to remove a few courses of bricks from inside the firebox in order to accommodate the insert? Has anyone here had to do that?

I made a sketchup model of my fireplace and also modeled some of the large-glass inserts that were recommended here and tried inserting them into the fireplace. I noticed that most of the inserts were clipping through the fireplace at the top rear edge, but all the other dimensions were fine.
Capture.PNG

Hi all.

During installation, is it possible for the installer to remove a few courses of bricks from inside the firebox in order to accommodate the insert? Has anyone here had to do that?

I made a sketchup model of my fireplace and also modeled some of the large-glass inserts that were recommended here and tried inserting them into the fireplace. I noticed that most of the inserts were clipping through the fireplace at the top rear edge, but all the other dimensions were fine.
View attachment 198866
Those bricks were the exact ones I removed, but my bricks were added to an old stone chimney to make a smaller firebox with a flue, years later. Once the flue was removed, they weren't holding up anything. I'd want to make sure they were not holding up bricks above them.

Hi all.

View attachment 198866
It is possible. Some inserts like the Clydesdale are depth adjustable.

Reactions: webby3650
It is possible. Some inserts like the Clydesdale are depth adjustable.
Also, many do not have a rectangular box as you show. Some have the upper corners tapered off for this very reason. The Clydesdale is one of them.