Looking for Wood Insert opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hey Mike- excellent score for the money. A Rockland CB550 clean face, nice stove. With its 2.1 cft firebox, should be 6-8 hrs of good heat. Can't be too old either, the CF unit has only been out a few seasons. Good luck with her.

Reactions: Mike N' Maine
81A07A3A-6EE6-46DA-AE84-6FB08F5D6EA0.jpeg
Hey Mike- excellent score for the money. A Rockland CB550 clean face, nice stove. With its 2.1 cft firebox, should be 6-8 hrs of good heat. Can't be too old either, the CF unit has only been out a few seasons. Good luck with her.

Everything went great! This unit was a BEAR getting into my downstairs family room! My buddy and I set up make shift pressure treated ramps to go down the t 2 steps to the landing, turn 90 degrees and another 4 steps to the LR. We had all 500 pounds (face plate, door and bricks removed) strapped to a 4 wheel furniture dolly and hooked that to my electric winch (1200lb capacity) to slow walk it down.
Install, flue & chimney work went great. They installed a sheet metal block off plate at the damper, gap sealed it with insulation packed above and around the flue.
Here she sits, ready to roll.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 226436

Everything went great! This unit was a BEAR getting into my downstairs family room! My buddy and I set up make shift pressure treated ramps to go down the t 2 steps to the landing, turn 90 degrees and another 4 steps to the LR. We had all 500 pounds (face plate, door and bricks removed) strapped to a 4 wheel furniture dolly and hooked that to my electric winch (1200lb capacity) to slow walk it down.
Install, flue & chimney work went great. They installed a sheet metal block off plate at the damper, gap sealed it with insulation packed above and around the flue.
Here she sits, ready to roll.

Another HUGE bonus is that my brick hearth is exactly 16” from the insert door, so no hearth protection plate/rug needed as it would have been with the Lopi unit

Now yer cookin'!

Some non-flush inserts do a decent job at area heating without the blower, but the blower of course still helps with convection and distribution. Flush inserts need the blower.

I have an insert that sticks out about 4-6 inches beyond the masonry. In our last house, I installed a blocking plate over the stove and stuffed Roxul above the plate. I also modified the trim plate by adding a couple of vents over the stove...I figured that would allow for additional airflow.

My insert came with a blower. Over the years I found that the blower may help in moving the heat when the stove first gets to operating temperature, after that it's not really necessary. I stopped using it and didn't notice much of a difference in overall perceived heating performance.