Looking to purchase a used NEO 2.5 - air deflector concern

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AnTi_GeL

Jun 12, 2022
canada
Hi, I'm looking to buy a 1 year old used Neo 2.5.

My only concern is the front top deflector - the thick steel one closest to the window that creates the downdraft: It has a bump in it as if it stressed with heat (or overheated) . The rest of the stove, including the stainless baffle, the door seal, weldings and all look just like new. This does not look like the stove got abused.

The seller states the stove is just too big for the room it sits in. I tend to agree with him.

Has anyone ever seen or experienced the same?
Thanks for your help!

285602158_793744164952417_9182732436473445775_n.jpg

Examine the baffle closely right behind that warped deflector area to see if there is a crack or something that would focus heat there. If no obvious sign, the baffle is straight, and not sagging badly on the bottom it could be ok. I am wondering if the deflector could be straightened out. If the stove price is good, then it may be worth it.

It's curious how, if the stove is too big, it would be repeatedly overfired enough to cause this? Is this stove on a tall flue system? Has the adhesive broken free on the door gasket at the top?

I'm curious how, if the stove is too big, it would be repeatedly overfired enough to cause this? Is this stove on a tall flue system? Has the adhesive broken free on the door gasket at the top?

Thank you for your reply!

You do bring up a good point: the stove is located in the basement of a 2 story house. My guess estimate is about 30 ft cheminey, althought I have not paid attention to it. The owner states his previous stove's baffle, a Neo 1.6 did react the same. He did talk to a P.Energy representative and he said it wasn't an issue, but it might not be the most reliable advisor in all situations.

I will pay a closer look to all weldings, seal and structual of the stove on my next visit - the seller told me he would make the stove pristine clean so that should make it easy to inspect those details.

285854346_436137755014412_2058079874263396147_n.jpg

PE stoves breathe easily. I would put a stove pipe damper on anything over 23ft. I am now more curious why he went from the Neo 1.6 to the 2.5.

PE stoves breathe easily. I would put a stove pipe damper on anything over 23ft. I am now more curious why he went from the Neo 1.6 to the 2.5.
Haha ! He actually bought the 1.6 but it wasn't providing enough heat. The store took it back in exchange of the 2.5. The bigger version is now too powefull so he's looking for a model size right in between. The store won't take it back twice so he put it up for sale.

Not quite sure about the saving $ strategy tho...

Sounds like a Super or T5 might work better for them, with a stovepipe damper.