Looks like woodstove season outside!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
It's not overly chilly, but it's been cool and rainy all day here in NH and it LOOKS like I should have the stove going. It's nowhere cool enough yet, but the season will be here soon enough.

Still re-splitting seasoned wood and piling it in front of the shed, waiting for my wife to get stacking (she enjoys it, and does it better than I do). We've got to pack about 4 more cords in there before we're ready to hunker down for burning season. No hurry. We're enjoying very pleasant weather, which is normal here for this time of year. Rick

I am just happy that after lots of rain this summer we have a stretch of great drying weather right now. We almost started a small fire in the fireplace last week when the temps got down to single digit celsius but we resisted the temptation.

The sun is down and we are down to 81. We have had one day with the high in the seventies this summer and the rest high eighties and nineties with a few hundreds. This week will probably feel like winter since it is not supposed to get out of the eighties all week.

But I am still not ready for winter. I am still waiting for spring to start. We never had one.

fossil said:
Still re-splitting seasoned wood and piling it in front of the shed, waiting for my wife to get stacking (she enjoys it, and does it better than I do). We've got to pack about 4 more cords in there before we're ready to hunker down for burning season. No hurry. We're enjoying very pleasant weather, which is normal here for this time of year. Rick

Rick

Why do you need to re-split the seasoned splits? are they to big for your stoves? just curious

To stay on subject we had a heck of a rain storm move into my area over night, actually woke me up around 2am, was raining hard till about 10AM, got up at 6Am and house was at 60 degrees, coldest it has been in awhile

will about noon the sun came out so me and my son went out side and split rounds for a couple hours, got a whole bunch of big gnarly maple rounds of C/L that I need to process for the 11/12 season, I am now in shorts and t shirt cooling off

suppose to be a cold one in the PNW this winter, hope we get some decent snow this winter, got 3 cords of hodgepodge ready to burn

Elderthewelder said:
...Rick, why do you need to re-split the seasoned splits? are they to big for your stoves? just curious...

Yeah...I buy almost all my wood, either in rounds or split, and delivered. For a lot of reasons. From some folks, I've gotten loads of splits (especially Lodgepole) which were almost perfect...meaning very little re-splitting required. From other folks, I've gotten loads of splits that almost all required re-splitting. Not for seasoning, but for ease of handling and loading the stoves. I've got a couple of cords of well-seasoned wood right now that's been stacked in the open against a south-facing wall for two years. It's ready to burn. But some of the splits are bigger than we (my wife and I) like to handle, so I give 'em a whack with a splitting axe and they're ready for the shed. Rick

I'm considering throwing the party of my lifetime when the temperature drops below 20 here for the first time. This is the summer that would never end.

We're finally headed for a stretch of upper 80s for highs and upper 60s for lows, as opposed to upper 90s/upper 70s. We still have a good month of hot days left, but I've noticed the last few days that the angle of the sun is changing ever so slightly, giving the afternoons that autumn appearance. I'm all for it. Bring it on.

Burned all weekend as it was in the 50s and driving rain in the mountains.

ShenValSteve said:
I'm considering throwing the party of my lifetime when the temperature drops below 20 here for the first time. This is the summer that would never end.

O K let me know when.

Leaves have been falling for a couple weeks now. Must be lack of rain? Rained all day saturday here, maybe my lawn will turn green again. Looking at my wood pile all day wondering if I should split it down to smaller pieces. Always heard bigger pieces burn longer? Watched wood burning videos today they say use small splits.

ShenValSteve said:

Keep those temps in the valley, thank you very much.

I'm seeing some maples turning red already . . . seems pretty early . . . and the other day they were reporting that apples are already coming in to season.

Nothing but a very breezy overcast day here. The wind is out of the northeast. It's so dry here we've actually broken down and watered some of more recently planted shrubs in the past week. Very high fire danger. But no rain yet. We were looking forward to a good day of steady rain.

The tree in front of the house (Acer rubrum) is starting to turn on the very tips of high branches. I've read that the change in leaf color is linked to moisture levels. Less moisture earlier color.

70s and rain here in lower NY. Not quite fire time yet, but it did look like it yesterday. I told me wife that we may have to fire up the stove if it stays cool and damp. She looked happy. We are both pretty tired of this way too hot summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.