Lopi AGP Insert fly ash and flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haff99

Jan 15, 2015
pennsylvania
I used to have a lopi pioneer bay insert. The exhaust used to come out horizontal from the blower, then went to a T. That was nice because the T had a cleanout cap on the bottom. This way, every week or so I would take off the bottom clean out cap and tap the flue and get rid of any ash that was in the flue. I didn't have to disconnect anything so it was easy. Then every spring I would go up on the roof and do a thorough cleaning with the pellet brush, clean the cap etc.

So now I got a new lopi AGP insert. The exhaust on this stove comes out vertical. There is a lid on that has a latch that you are supposed to unsnap, and remove the lid. The flue connects to the stove via a 3 to 4 inch adapter to this lid That way you don't have to disconnect the flue connection and recaulk the joints. So you are supposed to just snap the lid back on with the flue attached. The manual doesn't say you need to clean this on a regular basis(like after x amoutn of bags), just once a year

So here are my questions.

1. Isn't there a bigger chance of getting a clog since everything is vertical? At least when the exhaust came out horizontal, there was some more space to blow the fly ash before it would build up enough before it started to block the exhaust port. It says to clean the blower, convection fan etc, which is easy once a year, but that is it. It makes no mention about doing any sort of cleaning of the flue on a regular basis other then once a year. The manual says to clean behind the liners after a ton or so, which is a lot less then I used to do.

2. Since the auger feed is horizontal and pushes the ash out, I don't see nearly as much ash flying around as opposed to the old stove(which dropped the pellets into the burn pot). Am I safe in assuming there should be less fly ash getting back there since there is less ash that actually gets into the air? I just have a feeling disconnecting this lid isn't as easy as it should be given my experience with removing/reinstalling the liners in the stove. So maybe it isn't something I would need to worry about

I'm just trying to cover the bases here before I do run into an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.