Lopi Answer insert or ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jigrod

Oct 13, 2022
Wisconsin
Newbie to the site here and looking for advise / opinions on my current fireplace setup. I have a Martin LF36B fireplace in my house that I use multiple times a week but would like to get more heat out of it as most of the heat goes right up the chimney. I looked into putting a wood inset in and I was told at my local energy shop that the Lopi Answer insert is about the only one that would fit into the current Martin. The Answer sure is small but seems to get good reviews online. My house is 1500 SF ranch. Looking for opinions as to whether the Lopi Answer insert would give me enough heat to heat the house or if anyone knows of a different insert that might work. I can get the Lopi installed with liner for around 5K. Pic is current Martin setup. Thanks.

IMG_2345.jpg

Can you post complete dimensions of your fireplace and clearances to combustibles? Folks will ask for that for recommendations.

Clearances look good from photo except maybe that mantle height. Not many bricks on top of opening.

I have the previous Answer. Perfect for my needs. Like it a lot.

The Answer may be a good choice. I don't have the manual for this fireplace. Does it say that a wood-burning insert install is ok?

I havnt been able to find the manual either. But I have never heard of any martin allowing inserts

I found the Martin SA and SE?36 models permitted insert installation in the manual.

Reactions: bholler
Sorry for the delayed response, I’ve been on vacation for a few days. The opening on my current Martin fireplace without the doors on is approximately 32” wide x 20” tall. A part of me would like to rip out that Martin to create a space large enough to get a bigger stove in there. Is that a thing and would that be possible without ripping apart the whole wall?

Not enough information for this unit. Do you have the manual? If not, look for the fireplace's model in the door channel and frame.

Sometimes a ZC can be replaced by opening up the rear of the chase and extracting it from the back. That still leaves the task of finding a replacement ZC that would fit the opening. That can be challenging. As far as dropping in a stove, not likely due to clearance requirements.

pretty sure the Answer meets the EPA efficiency guidelines. You might get the 26% tax credit if installed before year end