Lopi Berkshire Pilot Assembly (250-00412)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ironmanco

Dec 2, 2019
Colorado
After about 20 years it looks like my pilot assembly needs to be replaced. I've got the part number from Travis for NG as 250-00412. Looks like there are a few companies that make replacements for this but wondering if there's any difference other than the $50 ;-)

Ok. Replaced the entire pilot assembly and I'm still losing the pilot light. Confirmed good pressure on the gas line and it stays lit for sometimes >a day and the stove lights (when the pilot is lit) just fine. What else could it be? I just assume it was the old pilot assembly that was causing this...now I'm not sure.

Screenshot 2024-03-22 194512.jpg

Can you post a picture of the new pilot assembly with the pilot lit?
The Thermocouple is what controls the pilot. Check to make sure that the pilot flame is engulfing the thermocouple properly.
Also, check the connection where the Thermocouple threads into the valve. Make sure that it is seated properly and has a good connection to the electrical element.

I'll post a picture but I guess the odd part is that it will stay lit for hours or even a couple a days at a shot. It's also odd that this is happening with the new assembly just like it did with the old which I'm thinking points to something other than the pilot assembly but I'm not sure.

It is a pretty short list of what can be causing it. If the pilot flame is steady on the correct area of the Thermocouple, the proper low voltage will be created, and sent through the copper end of the Thermocouple, to the valve where it will energize a magnet, which allows the gas to continue to flow through the valve, out of the pilot hood.

The problem could be the pilot magnet, which you can do an Ohms test on, or it could be something diminishing the pilot flame to the point where it is not heating the thermocouple sufficiently to maintain the pilot magnet. This could be low supply pressure of gas, or venting issues with down drafts moving the pilot flame off of the thermocouple.

Reactions: DAKSY
It is a pretty short list of what can be causing it. If the pilot flame is steady on the correct area of the Thermocouple, the proper low voltage will be created, and sent through the copper end of the Thermocouple, to the valve where it will energize a magnet, which allows the gas to continue to flow through the valve, out of the pilot hood.

The problem could be the pilot magnet, which you can do an Ohms test on, or it could be something diminishing the pilot flame to the point where it is not heating the thermocouple sufficiently to maintain the pilot magnet. This could be low supply pressure of gas, or venting issues with down drafts moving the pilot flame off of the thermocouple.

Thanks for this info. I shouldn't have put the whole thing back together before confirming my fix. Pulling the metal cover and then the glass is a small pain. Kind of related question - could I leave the log set out while I'm debugging this or is it required to be in?

Control valve, problem with gas meter regulator sticking, venting issue (is the pilot dropping while the stove is on, thermo couple not adequately tightened,