lopi cape cod break in-fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it only happened to me on a low burn. Maybe a clogged chimney would do that but I am no expert

Could it be you are cooling down the stove too much with the ducted scavenger attached?

Is it sucking smoke and sending throughout the house?

My Cape Cod did it a couple of times last year.... Has not happened this season yet..

I've gotten burn time of 14 hours a couple of times... I average 10-12... Burning mostly oak with some poplar mixed in occasionally...

What have other users been doing as far as control use? I get a fast strong fire going...with the top bypass open and the bottom intake air wide open as well.... Flue temps on double wall will start to climb to 100 or so.. I'll shut the top bypass and it really starts to get going.... I'll close the bottom air intake to about 90% closed when I hit 500-600 on the stove top just in front of double wall pipe coming out is top( best location as indicated by Lopi) ...

I've read a comment earlier in this thread from Webby about waiting til 650 before shutting down.... That's kind of at the early stages of the over fire zone on my guage....how hot can you realistically go into the danger zone????

The Stove is amazing .... Heats my 1978 sqft colonial .. No problem... Of course I took down 3 walls as part of a remodel that really lets the air move around.... Avg temp in den off kitchen 85+ .... Formal living room other side of house currently 79 & upstairs is high 70's as well....

Jonathan70, how tall is your chimney? Just curious to compare what mine will preform like. 17' tall from stove with 2, 45 elbows just below ceiling.

Just want to know if I'm gonna have any draft issues with the cape cod with this flue.

Thanks

Jonathan70, how tall is your chimney? Just curious to compare what mine will preform like. 17' tall from stove with 2, 45 elbows just below ceiling.

Just want to know if I'm gonna have any draft issues with the cape cod with this flue.

Thanks

My 6" double wall flue I think is 16' of straight flue... The previous flue that was in my house when we bought it was 10" I believe , it had 2 elbows as it was centered on the room, but was down 1 side of the ridge... After Hurricane Sandy hit & dropped a tree on the house & knocked the flue to one side ..... I bought 6" double wall and headered off the ridge & went straight thru the ridge... I wanted a straight shot for best performance possible... Insurance paid for new flue too ;-) .

Reactions: NVHunter
Yea mine is a 45, 4' of pipe 90 into flu all double wall pipe, 21 feet up outside of house. Like webby3650 said not hot enough. That solve my problem

Figured out my puffing from the Cod. I let her cool down and took a good look at the cat. As suspected, it was clogged with ash. Sometimes my wife thinks she can run the stove.!!!!!! Gave it a good brushing and had no problems on the next fire. It's also running much hotter. Might be worth taking a look if you're seeing smoke from the bypass when shutting down the intake.

This is bound to happen with this design. The Cape Cod is the only cat stove on the market that has no flame shield of any kind. That I'm aware of anyway.
It has no protection from flames and ash, at all.

With this design what are the potential problems that can arise Webby?

Dusty cat with ash? Shorter cat life?
Both. In the history of cat stoves, the shortest lived have had little to no cat protection. Stove manufacturers put lots of R&D into preventing premature cat failure. They do their best to prevent flame impingement in front of and also behind the cat. The Cod has no protection on either side. This has proven in the past to be an issue for other manufacturers.

Both. In the history of cat stoves, the shortest lived have had little to no cat protection. Stove manufacturers put lots of R&D into preventing premature cat failure. They do their best to prevent flame impingement in front of and also behind the cat. The Cod has no protection on either side. This has proven in the past to be an issue for other manufacturers.

This is really interesting! So, why would you figure Lopi chose not to use any cat protection? Very curious to hear more about this.

Yes me too! Very interesting. Are other Cape Cod owners having cat issues? Hope others chime in.

Webby, while you had your cod did you have any cat issues?

Yes me too! Very interesting. Are other Cape Cod owners having cat issues? Hope others chime in.

Webby, while you had your cod did you have any cat issues?
No,
This is an issue that would be likely to show itself at the 2-5 year mark. I didn't have mine long enough to experience any cat issues. Some have have had an issue under warranty though.

Again though, why would Lopi choose to use an inferior design given what webby3650 shared as what it seems to be common knowledge among woodstove builders/designers? Meaning, what do you think the pay off, advantage, is for them not including a deflector/protector?

Reactions: NVHunter
Again though, why would Lopi choose to use an inferior design given what webby3650 shared as what it seems to be common knowledge among woodstove builders/designers? Meaning, what do you think the pay off, advantage, is for them not including a deflector/protector?

Bump.

Ask Lopi support. The stove is in its first generation. Maybe gen 2 will have one?

Status
Not open for further replies.