Lopi Endeavor vs Liberty

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bmm45bm

Aug 6, 2017
Hello all
New member here and first time wood stover.

Building a new construction with alcove installation. Home is a very open style ranch home with two beds flanking both sides of great room and kitchen area. Total 4 beds. 10 ft ceilings except for room where stove is located that is a vaulted ceiling approximately 22 ft
Main square footage is 2700 ft
and lofted area over kitchen is 550 sq ft.
I am located in mid west Georgia. Fairly mild winters the last few years with some periods of days in low to mid teens but normally on the 20-45 degree would be an average. Yes we have wild swings and heat waves in the winter here. Plan would be to stoke at night before bed around 10 pm and stoke in the morning around 5-6 am. Some nights may not be home until around 7-8.

Looking to achieve supplemental efficient heat and enjoy the heat and look of the fire in the evenings in the great room. Good windows and spray insulation throughout. Deciding between the Lopi Endeavor or Liberty.
Thank you in advance

No opinion on those two stoves but advise to caution going too big. Also, you will likely want a well designed outside air intake. If the area can be windy consider an intake that is balanced by having multiple intakes on different sides of the structure all feeding the same CAI. Or draw the air from a vented crawlspace if allowed. Spray foam insulation is amazingly effective at sealing a living space up and a single air intake can easily become depressurized from the effects of wind.

No opinion on those two stoves but advise to caution going too big. Also, you will likely want a well designed outside air intake. If the area can be windy consider an intake that is balanced by having multiple intakes on different sides of the structure all feeding the same CAI. Or draw the air from a vented crawlspace if allowed. Spray foam insulation is amazingly effective at sealing a living space up and a single air intake can easily become depressurized from the effects of wind.
I seriously doubt that with 2700 sq ft and 22' ceilings there is much risk of going to big at all. I agree with everything else

I seriously doubt that with 2700 sq ft and 22' ceilings there is much risk of going to big at all. I agree with everything else

My comment was based on the fact that woodstoves are a point source heat, without a heat distribution system. Since it's a large ranch style home (implies long rectangle or "L" shape), and because it's located in Georgia, and it's well insulated and sealed against infiltration, it's not too difficult to imagine over-heating the area around the stove (even if it can't heat the farthest reaches). But of course we don't have any specifics (slab on grade vs. crawlspace, R-value of insulation, type and area of windows/doors, etc., etc., etc.).

My comment was based on the fact that woodstoves are a point source heat, without a heat distribution system. Since it's a large ranch style home (implies long rectangle or "L" shape), and because it's located in Georgia, and it's well insulated and sealed against infiltration, it's not too difficult to imagine over-heating the area around the stove (even if it can't heat the farthest reaches). But of course we don't have any specifics (slab on grade vs. crawlspace, R-value of insulation, type and area of windows/doors, etc., etc., etc.).
I agree with you on all points but the 22' ceiling and a loft really changes things. That jusr eats up btus

The cathedral ceiling will act as a heat trap and the loft, if open to it, will be hot. Ceiling fans can help.

On the stoves, I like both, but like the Endeavor's squarish firebox better than the wide and shallow Liberty firebox. There are other 3 cu ft stoves that have a more square firebox if you decide on this size. In between there is the Enviro Kodiak 1700 which is quite nice.

I don't want to derail this thread too bad but....
I would not build a new home and have a ventilated crawlspace, especially with a spray foamed house. The entire house will become a giant vapor trap. The crawlspace is the most overlooked and neglected part of the house, new construction included. Incapsulate and condition the crawlspace if your new home has one. Would you let ice cold air or hot humid air come and go from your basement? No one is ok with that, but yet it's ok for your crawlspace? A crawlspace should be treated the same as a basement, but rarely is. Sorry to derail, I just don't want to see you make a big mistake on your new home.

Reactions: bholler
Good tip. We have a conditioned crawlspace now since the new foundation. Big difference.

Reactions: webby3650
Webby,

We are doing a slab on grade construction.
Large window wall facing South/southwest.
Double hung aluminum clad wood interior windows.

Webby,

We are doing a slab on grade construction.
Large window wall facing South/southwest.
Double hung aluminum clad wood interior windows.
Make sure to insulate under the slab

Reactions: webby3650