Lopi Evergreen - questionable install and follow up questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigBlue61

Nov 28, 2022
Ohio
Hey crew: long time reader first time poster.

Looking for some information on the layout of the Lopi Evergreen wood stove.

The short story: I purchased the wood stove version and had it installed in an "alcove". The installer took the base off, put it on 3/4 inch brick and we are having some air intake issues. After speaking with Lopi we've discovered the stove needs to be raised.

Does anyone have the legged version? Can you tell me how the legs are attached? Welded vs bolted? Thinking buying legs and cutting may be a viable option.

Thanks in advance!

This makes me wonder if alcove clearances were honored too. Can you post some pictures of the whole alcove? There may be other errors that are serious safety issues.

This makes me wonder if alcove clearances were honored too. Can you post some pictures of the whole alcove? There may be other errors that are serious safety issues.
Oh they 100% weren't. I got ahold of my Lopi and they have no safety concerns, just essentially stated that if it can't get enough air, it's not going to hold a fire.

The alcove is a masonry chimney/, firebox - no real fire hazard there.

Oh they 100% weren't. I got ahold of my Lopi and they have no safety concerns, just essentially stated that if it can't get enough air, it's not going to hold a fire.

The alcove is a masonry chimney/, firebox - no real fire hazard there.
Ok so they stuffed a freestanding stove into a fireplace? Why?

Ok so they stuffed a freestanding stove into a fireplace? Why?

Yes...

My long term plan is to use a wood stove in a cabin I'm working on. I asked the dealer if it could be done, he said he called the manufacturer, they said yes (they deny this), so he went ahead and installed.

First fire went great, by the third, I was having some breathing issues.

I realize now after talking to the manufacturer, this was likely a predicable outcome, but I went to an authorized dealer, asked questions, he answered, I took him at his word. A mistake in hindsight? Of course. But we are here now. Just trying to make the best of a less than ideal situation.

The dealer should have provided you with the legs that came off. They most likely are bolt-on. Save them for the cabin install. The stove might be able to be set on a row of bricks on each side to elevate it.

Reactions: BigBlue61
But regardless a stove stuffed back in a fireplace without a convective jacket like inserts have is not going to get the heat out into the room well at all

Sounds like it's a temporary arrangement. Doesn't this stove have a built-in blower and convection lid?

The dealer should have provided you with the legs that came off. They most likely are bolt-on. Save them for the cabin install. The stove might be able to be set on a row of bricks on each side to elevate it.

Yep- came on a pedestal. Looks like the bolt holes are not on the corners for THAT, so what I was trying to do here was see if someone has the model with feet/legs (assembled as intended) and could tell me if the legs are indeed bolted on. If they are, I'll just order the legs, cut to length, and bolt them up.

Just trying to gather that piece of information before taking the vent pipe off and shimming the stove out so I only have to take it apart once.

Sounds like it's a temporary arrangement. Doesn't this stove have a built-in blower and convection lid?
Correct, and not my primary heat source. Did a great job throwing up heat the first burn, not so great thereafter but I believe that's because it wasn't heating up all that well.

I'm not THAT worried about the heat factor (nice, but peak efficiency not need), more to for esthetics where it is now, but I do want it to burn properly.

Also, no blower but does have the convection top I believe (newest gen Lopi Evergreen)