Lopi Leyden is not cutting it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

murphysart

Nov 13, 2011
I used to have a propane fireplace that would heat my 700 square ft living room it worked great for heating but cost to much. I decided to purchase a new lopi Leyden pellet stove and placed it in the exact same space the propane was in.It seems to be blowing nice heat but I am feeling drafts pulling from different directions. I tried hanging a comforter in a door way to block the draft but it just never gets the room comfortable. My wood stove heats the side of my home were my ceilings are very high with no problem at all.But on the living room side were the pellet stove is I am lucky if I can reach 70 degrees. We're the old propane fireplace would heat way beyond that within a half an hour. My question is will an external airflow help in my case or did I just buy an expensive piece of crap? I am thinking the stove is sucking so much air and working against it self by pulling as much cold air as its blowing warm air,, Thank you in advance to anyone that may be able to help me out...

So you don't have an OAK hooked to the stove now?

BTW, Lopi makes a VERY good stove.....it's NOT a piece of crap.

Install the OAK, you are finding all the air leaks in your home by making the stove use inside air for combustion, it is pulling a draft through cracks in doors and windows etc.

I asked them to put an intake from outside and they insisted that was not needed. I don't remember what the btu was in the propane. But I did a test and took on of them propane heads that screws into a BBQ tank and places it directly in front if the pellet stove an it heated to room alot faster then the pellet stove.i appreciate the help. So will havein the outside intake will that cause the heat coming out if the stove to become cooler since its freezing outside ? Or it doesn't make that much of a difference.
I did read about the stoves before hand and it did seem the lopi was good. I really think the problem is the lack or customer service and them rushing to get to the next in stole.
When the service man came to my house he said the rise was not high enough but yet the place he works for is the place that installed it. And when I called them and said I want to fresh air I take they said they don't do that and will only do an Installation. Makes no sense to me.

I can attest that the Lopi Leyden is not a piece of crap. Something isn't right and it sounds like others may have pinpointed to problem is you don't have an OAK connected. It's strange your dealer won't install this for you. I knew nothing about these stoves and my dealer installed is as part of the purchase installation. I can tell you that my Leyden has done a fine job heating about 2,000 of my 2,400sqft home (the other 400 is closed off with a bedroom door) over the past few days (and since 2008) when it has been in the single digits here.

If your dealer isn't giving you the help you need, you might want to try and reach out to (complain) to Travis Industries who makes the Lopi stoves. Travis is very protective of their dealer territories and I have to think the dealer won't want to lose their protected territory because of poor customer service. Bottom line is that the Leyden is rated for 2000+sqft and should more than serve your needs.

When was the last time you pulled it apart and did a deep dive cleaning? How old is the stove?

+1 on the outside air intake - also known as an OAK (outside air kit). Makes a huge difference in comfort and performance of the stove. It also sounds like your stove is underperforming, and it needs some tweaking.

The stove was purchased new at the end of last winter and was Only used 2 times last year. And thank you for the response I will try to find a way to co tact Travis tomorrow.

I forgot to add that when I first turned the stove on there was a problem with the air control lever. They replaced it and insisted the stove was running good. I'm obviously disappointed dealing with people like this and the stove wasn't cheap. Then for them to not add the Intake and tell me they don't do that and only do installation piss me off to say the least. I purchased a morsco wood stove and the lopi from them but will never set foot in there store again.

I asked them to put an intake from outside and they insisted that was not needed. I don't remember what the btu was in the propane. But I did a test and took on of them propane heads that screws into a BBQ tank and places it directly in front if the pellet stove an it heated to room alot faster then the pellet stove.i appreciate the help. So will havein the outside intake will that cause the heat coming out if the stove to become cooler since its freezing outside ? Or it doesn't make that much of a difference.
I did read about the stoves before hand and it did seem the lopi was good. I really think the problem is the lack or customer service and them rushing to get to the next in stole.
When the service man came to my house he said the rise was not high enough but yet the place he works for is the place that installed it. And when I called them and said I want to fresh air I take they said they don't do that and will only do an Installation. Makes no sense to me.
Classic service after the sale. Yes, you have found that you need an outside air kit installed. That should help to cut down on the drafts. You bought a terrific unit but installing it properly it a must.

Your stove is a great heating unit. I have a Leyden that Scott installed upstairs in the bonus room over our garage. Running it on Low 2 will still more than heat our entire upstairs, even with it being in the single digits this entire week. I am running an OAK, and am having no draft issues. I think that if you install an OAK you will be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.