• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

haydensa1986

May 27, 2021
Sydney
I have just had a new Lopi Liberty 2020 installed. When it was first run, I think it ran too hot as the air pipe and baffles on the top of the firebox were glowing orange. When the fire cooled and I had a chance to inspect it, it looked like some of the paint/coating has been burned off the air pipes (see included pictures). Is this an issues, or something I should have looked at or fixed?

IMG_3573.JPEG IMG_3574.JPEG

Internal stove parts should not be glowing, in the long term it could damage the whole stove, time to get your draft checked and consider a pipe damper to slow things down.

Make sure the bypass control is actually closing off the bypass port. Sometimes the rod can get disengaged from the bypass plate.
How tall is the flue system on the stove? What species of wood is being burned?

Also double check that the ash drawer is closed all the way and tight. We had a Lopi installed last year and my first break in fire seemed out of control. Turned out the ash drawer was closed all the way but the handle wasn't totally locked. Just a tiny air gap can get that fire raging out of control.