Lots of ash..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
.........with these Lignetics. They burn plenty hot and I`m not using any more than any I`ve previously burned but these are dusty mothers and they leave more ashes than what I`m accustomed to. The bright side is no clinkers whatsoever and a nice flame with lots of blue at the base.
I`ve had to clean the stove (P-38+) every two weeks and after brushing down the interior (prior to vacuuming) the ash pan is chock full . I used to clean monthly. Sure, It only takes 1/2-3/4 hr but it`s still twice as often and twice the ashes.
And I`ve still got 1-1/2 tons left. I don`t think I`ll buy them again and I`m gonna let em know it.

Getting picky in our advanced age are we? ;-)

As you are aware, there is variation between every batch, and by weight (which is how it gets measured) there may even be less ash.

How's it going Gio?

SmokeyTheBear said:

As you are aware, there is variation between every batch, and by weight (which is how it gets measured) there may even be less ash.

How's it going Gio?
I`m only 68 whippersnapper!
Actually things are going good, thanks for asking. No prostate problems yet but not to worry, I`m going at least 3 times a night.
OK Smokey , batch variation I can well understand but are you saying these pellets could be more dense even though the bag weight is the same ?

Gio said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

How's it going Gio?
I`m only 68 whippersnapper!
Actually things are going good, thanks for asking. No prostate problems yet but not to worry, I`m going at least 3 times a night.
OK Smokey , batch variation I can well understand but are you saying these pellets could be more dense even though the bag weight is the same ?

Your last question gets the yes answer.

Density is weight per unit volume, same weight smaller volume = denser.

Don't ever let yourself get fooled by poundage here in Pellet World {tm}, that is an evil manufacturer, distributer, dealer pox upon Pellet World {tm}.

Ok, with these Lignetics , they do produce a bit more heat (in a clean stove) and that`s the catch.
The increased ash buildup diminishes the overall heat output noticeably sooner and therefore requires the stove to be cleaned more often. Once again, no free lunch.

Every "free lunch" I've ever had came with a price tag attached that's for certain.

Ash isn't really bad if it is very light and very fine because that's the stuff that makes it out of the stove. The other ash is a real nasty item.

Well OM, you be sure to get a good nights rest and let us young geezers raise some heck.

I know what you mean about lots...

When I was single there were two cute girls who were room mates across the hall and every weekend we'd get together and... wait a minute.... oh... sorry... you said 'ash'?

Never mind...

krooser said:
I know what you mean about lots...

When I was single there were two cute girls who were room mates across the hall and every weekend we'd get together and... wait a minute.... oh... sorry... you said 'ash'?

Never mind...
hahahahahahahahahaha, krooser thanks for the morning laugh

Status
Not open for further replies.