Lots of wood near me but I'm already stocked for next winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tom Wallace

Burning Hunk
Jan 20, 2013
Shoreline, WA
A house was flattened several months ago near my house and they built two smaller houses on the lot. They also cut down several large trees. Today I noticed a sign out front that said "free firewood", so I went to investigate. Don't know what kind of wood it is.

20180302_173344.jpg 20180302_173330.jpg

Here's a video showing how much there is:

I already got about 3 cords of wood from another neighbor in the last couple of weeks so I'm all set for next winter already. The wood I got is mostly black locust with some maple and elm mixed in, which is great stuff for this part of the country. Most of the wood available here is usually fir, cedar and cottonwood.

Makes me a little sad that I'm already stocked up, because this wood is right along a driveway, so it's easy loading. If only I had room to store more wood. If anyone is nearby, this is in Shoreline, WA just north of 183rd and Ashworth.

Reactions: WiscWoody
A house was flattened several months ago near my house and they built two smaller houses on the lot. They also cut down several large trees. Today I noticed a sign out front that said "free firewood", so I went to investigate. Don't know what kind of wood it is.

View attachment 223734 View attachment 223735

Here's a video showing how much there is:

I already got about 3 cords of wood from another neighbor in the last couple of weeks so I'm all set for next winter already. The wood I got is mostly black locust with some maple and elm mixed in, which is great stuff for this part of the country. Most of the wood available here is usually fir, cedar and cottonwood.

Makes me a little sad that I'm already stocked up, because this wood is right along a driveway, so it's easy loading. If only I had room to store more wood. If anyone is nearby, this is in Shoreline, WA just north of 183rd and Ashworth.

OMG! That’s would be such a nice and easy scrounge! And it’s all bucked up too.... I think it’s maple from what I can see. When I don’t have rack space but something like what you have there comes around I stack the rounds on pallets and cover them with a tarp until I have room to s/s them but I have a few acres to do that, maybe you don’t. If it were me I’d be gettin’ er done and bringin’ It home lol.

Edit: you know.... I’ve been thinking I should head out west... maybe I should do a road trip huh? Lol

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't have nearly that much land. Only about 1/6 of an acre (Seattle suburb). I may go pick up a truck load of the smaller pieces today and stack them on the ground until I have room. I still need to split the last truck load of black locust and maple I got last weekend.

Yeah, I don't have nearly that much land. Only about 1/6 of an acre (Seattle suburb). I may go pick up a truck load of the smaller pieces today and stack them on the ground until I have room. I still need to split the last truck load of black locust and maple I got last weekend.
Well your in a good position for free wood heat then, you have lots of good wood for the rest of this year and next year too. Where I live there’s a lot of hardwoods and I’ve never had to buy wood in my 7 winters of heating with the stove yet just by keeping my eyes open for downed or dead trees on neighbors wood lots and asking them if I can cut the trees up. It helps me to justify the expensive saws (2) and the splitter and stove.

Last edited:
Reactions: livetosail
Somebody will get a nice score there.
I'll add that there's more than just fir, cedar, and cottonwood in abundance here. There's lots of alder, maple, and hemlock. I don't even know anyone who burns cottonwood or cedar other than cedar kindling.
I'm in a similar circumstance being stocked up. I had 2 huge maples cut down. They've produced 5 cords so far for me, and I've given away at least that much to neighbor's. There's still a couple more cords to work up.

I went by on Saturday morning intending to just grab the smaller, easier pieces, but there were already 2 guys with 2 trucks there loading it up. One of them had a large trailer behind his truck, too. I went by again Monday after work and it was all gone, revealing a whole lot of stumps on that property line.

20180305_175903.jpg

Reactions: blacktail