Lots of wood to scavenge this year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
With the ice storm we had in December, there is still a lot of wood on the side of the road to scavenge (if you don't mind pine). I've also seen a lot of ads for free wood on CL. Good thing considering the firewood budget is empty this year. After only a couple hours doing it, I already have a good cord of pine sitting here.

Keep scavenging. Winters are long!

Look at it as a gift from Mother Nature.

When everyone talks about getting wood on the side of the road, you do mean where you can safely pull over well off the road and work in peace without fear of traffic or being rushed. I have had some opportunities to get wood where the county had trimmed or even cut trees that were overhanging the road and had put in the ditch to be picked up later. Big limbs and even trunks of ash, white oak, hickory etc. but I just didn't feel safe working having to park on the county road. Even though this road was not very traveled, maybe 5 cars an hour. I just didn't feel comfortable doing it. I am sure taking the wood would have been fine as it was picked up about three weeks later and disposed of. Tony

cmonSTART said:
With the ice storm we had in December, there is still a lot of wood on the side of the road to scavenge (if you don't mind pine). I've also seen a lot of ads for free wood on CL. Good thing considering the firewood budget is empty this year. After only a couple hours doing it, I already have a good cord of pine sitting here.
more wood than I can get to!

I only stop to pick up wood where I can pull all four tires outside of the yellow lanes on back roads, or completely off the pavement on busier roads, and I try to use good judgement deciding where it is safe to pull over. I guess each of us has to decide what is safe and comfortable, but if traffic is really only five cars per hour, I would not mind a fairly narrow shoulder, as long as I am not on a bend or blind spot, and I can get my car out of the travel lane. Of course with my small sedan, it takes only five minutes to fill, so I frequently fill the car before even a single other vehicle has passed on most of the side roads around here.

Ya, I guess use your best judgment. I am picky about where I pull off, making sure it's not on a blind curve or anything like that. Keep a good eye out for other vehicles and you'll be fine.

In eastern Ma. on Craigs list most of the dealers are asking from $275 > $350 a cord. Several of us have posted on Craigs that people should stop supporting these prices. I KNOW how much work is involved. However at those prices it is cheaper to burn oil or gas for your heating needs. If people are paying that now, how much will the new burners (who don't know any better yet) be paying next fall?
Al

they wont - they will either use oil or scrounge wood

lobsta1 said:
In eastern Ma. on Craigs list most of the dealers are asking from $275 > $350 a cord. Several of us have posted on Craigs that people should stop supporting these prices. I KNOW how much work is involved. However at those prices it is cheaper to burn oil or gas for your heating needs. If people are paying that now, how much will the new burners (who don't know any better yet) be paying next fall?
Al
people paying that kind of money for wood now sounds like BBQ wood to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.