Low heat from Englander pvd

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ribcage

Nov 9, 2014
Massachuse
i have an older Englander pvd from 2004/2005 which I have been using for 5 seasons. Beginning of every season i get it cleaned professionally and am diligent about cleaning it weekly. Today I came home and the house was at 59 with the stove running at 1. I moved it up to 3 and 3 and still not much heat kicking out. I fixed the lower 3 numbers to 3-5-1 and they were previously set to 3-3-1. Currently using green supreme but the higher I go heat wise the less the pellets actually burn through and cause “ congestion” on the burn pot. Any ideas? Thanks!

I would try a couple diff brands of pellets and see if it makes a difference. Mine always liked the softwoods. Plug the 2 holes under the burn plate that has also helped with pdv/pdvc stoves burning better and cleaner.

try bumping the fuel feed up a notch to two this helps with my pdvc stove. i also blocked some of the outer holes on the wear plate and slightly enlarged the rest.

I would try a couple diff brands of pellets and see if it makes a difference. Mine always liked the softwoods. Plug the 2 holes under the burn plate that has also helped with pdv/pdvc stoves burning better and cleaner.

You mean the two holes which I need to try to clean out all the time? And put what in it. This is the 3rd brand I’m trying. Not sure if the 3 numbers are right. I thought they used to be at 6-4-1

Ok under the burn plate on either side are 2 holes you can get hillman plugs(electric isle in HD or Lowes). Measure the holes beforehand. Or round earth magnets. factory settings for the PDV is 6 4 1. Do a search on this site for burn plate mod and you can read all that has been done to make the stoves work so much better.

My settings were 6-4-1 from the factory but that was burning too many pellets and too hot for our house.
Changed it to 5-4-1 and it is better.
I set it to 4-4-1 if I need very little heat.

Bill