Low heat output Drolet ECO 65

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dana Kayal

Dec 9, 2019
Canada
I have an Enviro EF-V & a Drolet Eco65 & struggling hard.

I had poor heat last year when I replaced my Enviro with my Drolet. I blamed it on the pellets or wondered if I was my imagination that I got way more heat out of the enviro. The manufacturer thus far has been no help & the local pellet guys have never used a Drolet so they don’t know what’s happening. I’ve paid a significant amount of money already to have the stove looked at locally.

This year the enviro has been moved to my office and both are running at the same time. It is very evident that the Drolet puts out significantly less heat at a similar burn rate. The video posted here is after a fresh clean, there is nothing covering the burn holes and it's burning on 5. Even at this high fuel rate the pellets don’t get over the burn holes

I am wondering if the Drolet burn pot is wrong somehow in the manufacture (it's installed correctly over the pegs). My fire does not burn over the burn holes, it sits mostly behind the burn holes and the only fire that gets any oxygen is the front edge. Much of my flames lick up behind the top lip of the burn pot right at the auger. You can see that in the photo where I removed the ash and left the embers.

I set a thermometer 18 inches in front of the vents of both stoves and the Enviro thermometer was hitting high 40s and the Drolet was low 30s at similar burn rates. I cannot even stand in front of my Enviro running on medium high & I can put my hand right on the front plate of the Drolet without getting burned. (note, in this video the top vent is open, although it was not open during the temp tests)

When I pull my pellets half an inch further forward the flame is amazing and hot, similar to my Enviro. I tried to link a 22 second video but no luck.

If you have a Drolet eco65 can you compare the layout of your burn pot to mine? What else might I be missing?

Attachments

• 3C0FAB0E-BE2F-4175-8EEF-66CB42087FB0.jpeg
    3C0FAB0E-BE2F-4175-8EEF-66CB42087FB0.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 230
  • 379B2E7E-A63D-475A-ADCE-D38CE1E438B6.jpeg
    379B2E7E-A63D-475A-ADCE-D38CE1E438B6.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 234
I have an Enviro EF-V & a Drolet Eco65 & struggling hard.

I had poor heat last year when I replaced my Enviro with my Drolet. I blamed it on the pellets or wondered if I was my imagination that I got way more heat out of the enviro. The manufacturer thus far has been no help & the local pellet guys have never used a Drolet so they don’t know what’s happening. I’ve paid a significant amount of money already to have the stove looked at locally.

This year the enviro has been moved to my office and both are running at the same time. It is very evident that the Drolet puts out significantly less heat at a similar burn rate. The video posted here is after a fresh clean, there is nothing covering the burn holes and it's burning on 5. Even at this high fuel rate the pellets don’t get over the burn holes

I am wondering if the Drolet burn pot is wrong somehow in the manufacture (it's installed correctly over the pegs). My fire does not burn over the burn holes, it sits mostly behind the burn holes and the only fire that gets any oxygen is the front edge. Much of my flames lick up behind the top lip of the burn pot right at the auger. You can see that in the photo where I removed the ash and left the embers.

I set a thermometer 18 inches in front of the vents of both stoves and the Enviro thermometer was hitting high 40s and the Drolet was low 30s at similar burn rates. I cannot even stand in front of my Enviro running on medium high & I can put my hand right on the front plate of the Drolet without getting burned. (note, in this video the top vent is open, although it was not open during the temp tests)

When I pull my pellets half an inch further forward the flame is amazing and hot, similar to my Enviro. I tried to link a 22 second video but no luck.

If you have a Drolet eco65 can you compare the layout of your burn pot to mine? What else might I be missing?

My flame is about the same in burn pot, you said you have it on 5, Wow that should be pumping heat. What about cleaning the shelf above burn pot? Bill