Q&A low house in city has draft problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

the houses on either side of me are "I think" creating a down draft situation. I have a small city lot [25'wide] and I think that because of this I never acheive a decent draft. Even on calm days with a decent fire going the smoke seems to drift down to the ground. My chimney is an easy 4' above my ridge line so.... Any suggestions thanks §ill

Answer:

Only the usual:

1. Special chimney cap, called a "Vacu-Stack" which uses the wind to your favor.
2. Electric Draft fans, can mount on stovepipe (if you have a stove) , or on chimney top. Made by Field Controls and Exhausto.
3. Any amount that you could heighten the chimney might help. See the new chimney extensions at the link below.

Link: Extendaflue Chimney Extenders

Status
Not open for further replies.