M55 Heat Exchanger Tube Scraper Jammed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I happened to have the stove apart this afternoon. The first pic is with the tube scraper pulled out. You'll see the tab holding the upper left edge of rear baffle. The second pic the scraper is in the normal position. The bolt is part of the scraper plate and acts as a stop. I guess it also holds the baffle in place too. But I don't need to remove the back plate to exercise the scraper.
Ahhhhh!!! no pics!

Again . . . Doing this from my phone with limited success.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384644801294.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384644801294.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 235
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384644819759.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384644819759.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 197
Okay...my stove is a million degrees right now, but I believe the design is different on mine. My brick has a large tab in the middle of it on the back that fits into a slot on the scraper assembly so that if I move the scraper forward the brick is bulled forward as well...I think. I will look tomorrow and post some pics to this thread. Thank you for the pics. I may be off the "idiot hook" for the time being but I'll confirm tomorrow. Congrats on the stove by the way. I wish my install looked half as good. I have a sweet looking stove in the middle of a 1950's living room with crappy red brick. My pics obviously won't include the surround for fear of being shown up.

Thanks again,

Thanks for the kind words on the install. If I had brick I'd have to give it some thought before I painted over it. We didn't have to make that decision because it was a hideous brown. Just like all of the other 1970's decor we painted over throughout yhe house. I'm very happy with the stove so far. Looking forward to cold weather to really let it rip.

Do you have the decorative brick option? Mine is the stock steel plate.

Thanks for the kind words on the install. If I had brick I'd have to give it some thought before I painted over it. We didn't have to make that decision because it was a hideous brown. Just like all of the other 1970's decor we painted over throughout yhe house. I'm very happy with the stove so far. Looking forward to cold weather to really let it rip.

Do you have the decorative brick option? Mine is the stock steel plate.
I wouldn't say it's "Decorative"...just the cast piece with the grooves in it. I'll have it out this afternoon and will take some pics.

Okay...no go on the pics because work got me a new phone that I can't figure out. I used to have one of those cameras that didn't make phone calls but it broke. Anyways, I don't have the tab to the left, just in the middle on the back. It presses up against the two centermost tubes to put downward pressure on the brick and keep it in place...however, the scraper has a slot in it that needs to match up to the brick or else it won't go completely back. I know that's not helpful but long story short...I have a different design than you. Thanks for the info! I kind of like the new design better.

Well, I did my cleaning this weekend and found that if I loosened the screw at the rear of the scraper that is holding the baffle to the scraper, the whole unit
became freed up. I must be that the baffle has buckled a little due to the heat. I can now move the scraper using the handle on the front. I still use pliers because my hand doesn't fit in there very well. Later, when I get more time I will get some photos and will probably remove the baffle completely to attempt to straighten it out. BTW my design is the same as jgrz0610 with the clip in the middle pressing against the center tubes. Thanks for all the input so far!!

we have a different model, but we pull our scraper twice a day. morning and night. also pull the rod on the burn pot twice a day. No problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.