Made some firewood today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
And here is a picture of it. That is all....
IMG_0080%2520%25281024x768%2529-780516.jpg

Is that still more dead Oak Quads? It almost looks like cherry. You have been cleaning up that tornado damage for many a year.

Most all the deadfall or dead standing Red/Black Oak I've been cutting for years looks just like that.Nice pinkish-red color,occasionally its a bit darker.

Thats a nice pile of wood. What s the best kind of wood to burn? Free Wood, hehehehe... :lol:

Yup, dead black oak. It's in the area where the tornado went through years ago, but what little is left over from then is too rotten now. This was dead standing, probably from oak wilt. Not going to burn this myself, it's going in the for sale pile. A little shy of $50 worth.

quads said:
And here is a picture of it. That is all....
IMG_0080%20%281024x768%29-780516.jpg
It must get boring quads working on the same wood continually. Your wood always looks the same. The wood remains the same in your pictures, only the location changes.

[/quote]
It must get boring quads working on the same wood continually. Your wood always looks the same. The wood remains the same in your pictures, only the location changes.[/quote]

I would think the ease of how that would is split far outweighs the lack of change in species, I know I can do without a lot of the different pia woods I split by hand, doubt I would get tired of fun splitting stuff like that.

Quads, its good to hear you have that tornado damage cleaned up. Oak wilt not so good.

How long before you have to start cutting green trees? And you forgot to put the saw in the picture.

Nope, never boring. I love being in the woods, even if I am out there everyday, day after day, cutting and splitting black oak, sometimes white. There is a lot of dead pine that could be cut and split too, but I rarely ever do. I let it rot in the woods, except I have a couple of campfire customers that special order it from me.

Some of the leftover tops etc. from the tornado damage and logging operation cleanup afterward, went to waste. I couldn't get to them all before they rotted. Once in awhile I still come across a few larger trunk sections rejected by the loggers that are salvageable for firewood, otherwise everything else is too rotted to bother with. It will be food for a future generation of trees. In the years after the tornado I hauled cord after cord after cord of good firewood from it, which would have all went to waste.

I won't ever have to cut green trees. The ones that die every year are more than enough to keep me busy on that 80 acres. And if I do ever run out of dead trees on that 80, I have 500 more acres with dead trees that are just falling over and rotting in the woods!

Saw is the orange blob on the left side of the front rack.....HA!

Ya, I had seen it on there quads but just wanted to raze you a bit. Haven't heard much from you lately. Figured you were either cutting wood or tending the cows. Do you still put up your own hay? I know you gave up on the other crops but those cows can eat a lot of hay no matter what. Ya know, putting up hay is one thing I sort of miss. It was always hard work and can get nasty at times but it is usually a good time. Not quite the same today with the big round bales though.

I've still been cutting wood almost everyday, except the very worst humid days. Milking cows morning and night as usual (just got in the house now from night milking). I've had a population explosion recently on the farm and have lots of little calves to feed. More calves than what I even have bottles for! And feeding the calves sometimes takes as long as milking.

I don't put up any square bales myself anymore, my cousin usually talks some teenagers into doing it nowadays. But we don't put up nearly as many as we used to. The old hay loft is empty compared to what it used to hold when I put hay up. The majority is round bales fed outside and we grind our own corn for feed.

quads said:
Nope, never boring. I love being in the woods, even if I am out there everyday, day after day, cutting and splitting black oak, sometimes white.

Some of the leftover tops etc. from the tornado damage and logging operation cleanup afterward, went to waste. I couldn't get to them all before they rotted. Once in awhile I still come across a few larger trunk sections rejected by the loggers that are salvageable for firewood, otherwise everything else is too rotted to bother with. It will be food for a future generation of trees. In the years after the tornado I hauled cord after cord after cord of good firewood from it, which would have all went to waste.

I won't ever have to cut green trees. The ones that die every year are more than enough to keep me busy on that 80 acres. And if I do ever run out of dead trees on that 80, I have 500 more acres with dead trees that are just falling over and rotting in the woods!

I hear ya. I dont get the chance to get out in the woods but maybe 1 day every week at the most,regular work schedule & weather permitting.But I enjoy it almost more than anything.Most what I cut (roughly 90%) is a mix of dead mostly red/black with some white & bur oak.The occasional dead or dying hickory,red/white elm,cherry or mulberry etc rounds out the stack.I've cut maybe 3 trees in past 4 yrs that werent 100% dead,either with storm damage or hollow spots.Plus there's quite a bit on the far south slopes near property line,most of that is so steep I have to cross 2 big draws then go up hill to access anything.Only real way is by foot,unless I can convince neighbor to let me park along the south fence.Still would have to carry or winch most anything over to it,unless there's a lot more than I think over there,its not worth the effort.

Maybe someday though.Whole property is just 10 acres,but very heavily wooded with only a small part of 1/2 acre at best even remotely 'flat'. Not a place to have a Farmall H for sure,Dad & I tried that 25 yrs ago,with almost disastrous consequences. :bug: :-S

Backwoods Savage said:
Ya, I had seen it on there quads but just wanted to raze you a bit. Haven't heard much from you lately. Figured you were either cutting wood or tending the cows. Do you still put up your own hay? I know you gave up on the other crops but those cows can eat a lot of hay no matter what. Ya know, putting up hay is one thing I sort of miss. It was always hard work and can get nasty at times but it is usually a good time. Not quite the same today with the big round bales though.

And here I thought I was the only person crazy enough to be a little nostalgic for the old days of haying . . . always a hot, dirty job that left you itchy . . . but it was always fun to do with family and friends as you could see the hay building up in the barn or wagon . . . and afterwards, always afterwards . . . we would finish off the day's work with a Coke or Moxie.

I agree Jake. Except I never liked putting up hay loose. I was just a young lad when it was done that way and do not have fond recollections of it. It was hard work. What a joy when we got the first baler!

I don't ever remember putting up any loose hay, but I do remember the first baler. It was an Allis-Chalmers that made tiny round bales, about the size of a small square bale. Actually, I think that baler is still setting out in a hedgerow somewhere on the farm. A few years ago I was cleaning out the hay loft and way at the bottom in one corner were some of those little round bales! Had to be, gosh, 40, 50 years old or more. The cows didn't seem to mind. Don't know how much nutrition they got out of them though!

firefighterjake said:
And here I thought I was the only person crazy enough to be a little nostalgic for the old days of haying. . . we would finish off the day's work with a Coke or Moxie.
No, you're not the only one. I used to help a neighbor pick up Fescue hay in 90*+ heat and stack it in a loft. Probably about 200* up there. Those were the sweaty, itchy, dusty, chigger-bitten good old days. Never did Coke or other drugs afterwards, just a lot of beer. :)

Yeah, when I was a kid I thought it was a big treat to help my grandfather hay - square bales, too. Loved riding on top of the wagon on beautiful days and loading the elevator.

quads said:
I don't ever remember putting up any loose hay, but I do remember the first baler. It was an Allis-Chalmers that made tiny round bales, about the size of a small square bale. Actually, I think that baler is still setting out in a hedgerow somewhere on the farm. A few years ago I was cleaning out the hay loft and way at the bottom in one corner were some of those little round bales! Had to be, gosh, 40, 50 years old or more. The cows didn't seem to mind. Don't know how much nutrition they got out of them though!

Quads, as long as the cows don't mind, there must be something good there. Our first baler was a Case. It had two problems; we were constantly having to adjust the knots and the needles, rather than going through sideways, came up from the bottom. Naturally we always worried about dropping a wheel in a hole and breaking the needles. Yes, they had guards but did not look all that solid. Well, we baled many thousands of bales with it anyway and once we figured out the knots we didn't do too bad. I don't remember how many bales our mow held but it was many, many thousands. Then we had a different haymow for the straw.

Status
Not open for further replies.