Made the decision to buy a log splitter... which one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NateH

Nov 19, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don’t mind splitting rounds with the Fiskars and even find it somewhat cathartic, relaxing and enjoy the exercise. But it is a major time suck and with 3 boys all under the age of 5 there is little time, and I prefer to spend it with them.

So after tons of research and price checking I’ve narrowed it down to the 25 ton Yardmax (either full beam or half beam) and the 27 ton Champion splitter. It seems the big difference with these units are the wedge, engine, and a few minor details with the beam and plate, etc. The cycle time is better on the Yardmax and I am leaning in the direction but there are a couple things I don’t like.

Any advice appreciated. From what I see on YouTube videos it seemed like the pie shaped wedge of the Yardmax is not quite as good as the narrow to wider transition type wedge of the champion.

And if someone has other recommendations I’m willing to listen. I know there are lots of good models available.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
The 4-way wedge on the Yardmax might be an issue for some wood. I haven't used that particular splitter, but many have reported that 4-way wedges on 22-ton splitters don't work so well in tough hardwoods. Things tend to bog down.

Reactions: kevin j
Right. What appears to be a selling point is actually a negative. But then I’ve never used it or any splitter for that matter

Depending on what wood is locally available, in general you will never be upset about too big, but not big enough is very frustrating. Buy that biggest unit you can afford. It tipping vertical is a lifesaver on loading big rounds. I have split some rounds that were over 4' across by wiggling them in place with pry bars, they weighed many hundreds of pounds each. A 4 way splitter is great if you have pecker poles, will jam you up if you are splitting through knots or big rounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: TreePointer
Since you're in PA, I'd also add splitters to your list by CountyLine (available at Tractor Supply) and DHT.

For comparable splitters, I'd look for the fastest cycle times and largest volume in they hydraulic fluid reservoir (more fluid keeps things cooler). Also, if I prefer a certain engine brand/model over another, that also would be a factor.

Personally, I've become a fan of the in-beam log catcher as shown on that Champion model. That feature helps a lot to keep logs centered on the beam without having to wrestle them as much. I first saw them over 10 years ago on SpeeCo made splitters, which have been available under variety of brand names (Huskee, CountyLine, Bad Boy, etc.). With it's in beam catcher and "H" reinforcement on the toe plate, that champion splitter has a lot of characteristics of a SpeeCo made model.

Last edited:
Thanks, TP! I wish I could try one out... but of course not in the cards. And I second your thoughts on seeking out one with a fast cycle and large capacity hydraulic reservoir.

A 20 ton splitter is more than enough for most people...heck my little 5 ton electric splits almost anything I throw at it...that said, a split that stalls my 23T Champion is a rare bird indeed.
My advice is find the best deal on the fastest splitter over 20 tons that has the features you like/want, and good reviews...then buy it.

I’m assuming you understand the principles of how a log splitter works, so I’ll just jump into the specifics. If this is Greek to you, Google is your friend.

Most here, including myself, have found that a 4” cylinder running at 3300 - 3500 psi is about all the force we will ever need to split any piece of firewood. These machines are variably badged 22 - 25 ton, and 90%+ of them come with a 200 cc motor and an 11 gpm 2-stage gear pump (often overspun to 120% of rated RPM) yielding a cycle time of roughly 11 seconds. Choose your favorite color, avoid some of the ergonomic problems of a few brands (like an exhaust that points in your face), and they’re pretty much all the same basic hardware. These usually cost $900 - $1100.

Then there are those who, without really thinking things thru, decide they need something more. They buy a 28-ton machine, which is the same stupid 200 cc motor with 11 gpm pump, but running a 4.5” cylinder at a much lower cycle speed. This is the worst choice you could make, IMO... the extra 6 tons of force buys you nothing, and the slower speed is just a frustration.

One step up from that, you have the 35 ton (5 inch cylinder) machines, and these usually come with a 16 gpm pump. Some of the cheaper ones will still have the 200cc motor, which will never work well, that motor does not have sufficient horsepower to drive 16+ gpm. Properly configured ones will have at least 300cc of motor, and some of these can even come close to the cycle times of the 4” machines, as (5/2)^2/(4/2)^2 = 17/11. But they cost much more, and if you’re running the same cycle time, what good are they? I’ve never drug home any piece of wood that my 22-ton splitter couldn’t split with ease, and I’m splitting more wood than any 3 average hearth.com members, almost entirely oak, ash, elm, and hickory.

Another issue that should be mentioned here is weight. We all like to feel like we’re getting good quality and value, and there’s a tendency to want to buy the heaviest machine we can afford. But then we want to move that machine a few feet at a time to keep stacking off the splitter as we work, without the bother of hooking it to the tractor, and wish we had something lighter. There is absolutely no reason, IMHO, to buy an insanely heavy machine for home use. You will just be hampering your own productivity, by making it too difficult (or impossible) to move it around your splitting area, as you work.

Going the other direction, there are the “fast cycle” machines, made by companies like Iron and Oak. Here, they take the 22-ton chassis (200cc / 11 gpm), and stick a 3.5” cylinder on it, and re-badge it 19 tons. These things are great, but you will hit some wood they can’t split, from time to time. I used one of these for a few years, before upgrading to 22 tons, and can say that the 4” cylinder is the threshold level to split any piece of firewood I ever encounter. These 19-ton “fast cycle” machines are a great option for those doing solely softwoods, or for those who don’t mind avoiding gnarly stuff, but they’re not for me.

Finally, we come to my favorite option, or at least the most affordable compromise to it, but first a disclaimer: I’m not suggesting you do this, I’m just saying what I did. In other words, don’t cut off your fingers, claim Ashful told you to make your splitter faster, and then come crying to me. Proceed at your own risk. My favorite configuration is a 4” cylinder on a 16 gpm pump with 300+cc of motor, which will give you 22 tons of force with an 8 second full-cycle time at 3600 rpm. I find the cycle times of the typical 22-ton machine (11 gpm) too slow for my work pace, and I really missed that “fast cycle” Iron and Oak machine I had been using before buying my 22-ton machine.

I built my own by removing the motor, pump, and all under-sized lines and fittings from my 22-ton Speeco (TSC Huskee) machine, and replacing with a 344cc 3600 rpm vertical shaft Intek and 16 gpm pump. I suppose you could do it with much less work by starting with a (35-ton?) machine already having the right motor and pump, and just “downgrading” the machine to a 4” cylinder from eBay.

I actually bought a motor with electric start, so I could run a cord to my tractor for cold starting, and I’m glad I did. Cold-starting a 16 gpm machine is no small feat, in January. Once the machine is warmed up, re-starting it with the pull cord is easy.

I’m still waiting for some nut to put a 22 gpm pump on a 4” cylinder, as I had originally planned to do when I hot-rodded my own splitter, and hit 6-second cycle times. But that would require a custom cylinder with SAE-10 or 5/8” ports at mucho $$. If you’re sticking with stock 4” cylinders (SAE-8 or 1/2” ports), you’re pretty much stuck at 16 gpm, and 8 second cycle time.

There are obvious safety concerns with making your splitter faster, so I make no claims or assumptions about your ability to run this thing, you are working at your own risk. But I believe the cycle time you will achieve with this rig is no faster than the “fast cycle” machines already produced by companies like Iron and Oak, check me on that.

There are those here who will argue that an 11-second cycle time is plenty fast for them. What can I say, they work slower than me. If you’re retired, or like to relax while splitting, maybe disregard all of this. That’s not me, I like to hustle when getting my work done, so I have enough of my day left to go sailing or do something fun with my family.

Summary: 22 tons is a minimum requirement, any more is usually a waste. Shop on speed first, you will hate a slow splitter, if you have any time constraints on your splitting work.

Last edited:
The 25 Yardmax 4.2 gals and Champion 4 gals hydraulic tank seems small. My DHT 25 ton is 6.5 gals and the ram cylinder and fluid gets very hot. Not an expert, I believe part of this heat is due to faster return times, making the splitter do the hardwork more often. Having a larger reservoir would be important imo.

East of Pittsburgh, about an hour. Past Delmont, if that helps.

I went with the Champion. Waiting for delivery to the little acres then can start doing some serious splitting!
Gotcha,
I was gonna say. You aught to try mine out, but you got things moving pretty quick...

I'm pretty happy with the 25 ton that I bought at Tractor Supply (County Comm) for about $1100 all in with a log shelf. And I definitely agree with what a previous poster said about 'ability to move it around'. I would definitely not want one any heavier than this one and it has split everything I've thrown at it.

Hi Nate - too late now, but I was going to suggest that you rent a splitter to you could both split some wood and get an understanding of the vocabulary everyone here is talking about. That said, I personally would have picked the Champion - I don't have a splitter myself, but have looked quite a bit and like the Champion.

Reactions: kevin j
Hi Nate - too late now, but I was going to suggest that you rent a splitter to you could both split some wood and get an understanding of the vocabulary everyone here is talking about. That said, I personally would have picked the Champion - I don't have a splitter myself, but have looked quite a bit and like the Champion.

What do you like about the Champion? It’s one of the slower 4” machines on the market today. Also, what’s the reputation on Champion brand engines?

Quality of construction looks good and I have a dual-fuel Champion generator that I've had good luck with. Plus, when I was looking the Champion 25 ton had the log cradle built in and was on sale for $999. Seemed like a good deal on a quality machine.

I've had my 23T Champion for 5-6 years now, still runs like a top...only issue I have had is I had to weld the log catchers up, I overloaded and cracked them...no big deal.

I live in VA, and I bought the smallest model from Tractor Supply, 20 ton I think. I have yet to find a log it won't split. The big ones, I tilt the beam vertical, roll and stand the log on the foot, then split. My back can't take the big lifts anymore.

Cycle time, I don't mind the time it takes the wedge to pull back. I did make and install a "shelf" that bolts to the beam and catches pieces I split on the off side of where the controls are. That way, I'm not always picking up pieces I need to split a second time. I run through first, roll a pice over on the shelf and have to other ready to go.

Reactions: Grateful11