Magnum Baby CountrySide-AC powered Control Panel - FS Wood pellet stove does not stay lit? Fixed!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the cast pot is #BC2650. Couple other parts of interest: High Output comb fan blade is #MF3614. The two speed high output comb fan (whole thing) is #MF3650.

CWR said:
Yes please on the pictures! We looove pictures! My discharge temps are now 140 degrees, up from 125 with the burn pot mod....and that's on low! The stove is off now but when I restart it, I'm going to run it on high for a half hour and see what the temps are.

Chan

Hi Chan

Please let me know what your temps are on Level 3 also.

Thanks

Here's the link to purchase the burn pots: https://www.americanenergysystems.com/firepots.cfm

It is the BC2650.

I looked everywhere and couldn't find anywhere else to purchase. Only other options might be a dealer.

Czech said:
I believe the cast pot is #BC2650. Couple other parts of interest: High Output comb fan blade is #MF3614. The two speed high output comb fan (whole thing) is #MF3650.

This I'm not too sure about. The #MF3650 is listed as the upgraded two speed exhaust blower for the Magnum Furnace and the Magnum Winchester AC. One might want to double check with AES before ordering to be sure?

Also there are different high output exhaust fan blades available that fit the Baby depending on shaft size.

I here these make a big difference too. Thanks for pointing that out Czech!!

Thanks for the info. Will be investing in the cast pot very soon

Don, ok, I fired the stove and set the thermostat at 70. It went to 3 and stayed on that setting for 20 minutes until the thermostat was satisfied. I have my thermocouple on the lower right hand tube. It read 252 degrees. That's a good 20 degrees hotter than with my unmodified burn pot. It's on low now and reading 140. Not bad! I'll be interested to see what the temps are with the cast iron pot....(Assuming I buy it)

Chan

Chan, those readings are pretty close to mine. I get around 265 when dirty and up to 280 when I clean my stove. Semester was at my house today he sent me a pic of my digital temp probe and it was reading 165 degrees on level 1 with the auger trim and fan on lowest setting.if you tinker with the draft a lil can raise or lower those temps by up to 20 degrees. Close the damper to raise temps and open it to lower the temps. Close it until you get a lazy flame then one it back up just a smidge. Cant believe you never tried the mods I told you about last season. I knew you would love the results yo got. Did you drill out the bottom holes like I did or just ply the top holes? That may be the difference in our readings. I took and drilled out every other hole on the very bottom of the pot to promote more air flow through the bottom holes. This helped with my coal bed, the coals burn much hotter now that I drilled them out.think it was 3/32nd drill bit,will check the size of the holes when I get back home for you if youre interested in doing the complete mod.

Barnyard...I did not drill out the bottom holes.....yet. I figured one mod at a time. Let me know what the hole size is and I may attempt it before I get the other pot. I really had no issues with the stove other than a every other day burn pot dump. I've now extended that to three, maybe four days so that's a pretty good improvement. I may re-drill a couple holes in the front to push the flame away from the glass a tad. My glass used to stay very clean and now it's a bit dirtier...not much but noticeable.

Chan

CWR said:
Don, ok, I fired the stove and set the thermostat at 70. It went to 3 and stayed on that setting for 20 minutes until the thermostat was satisfied. I have my thermocouple on the lower right hand tube. It read 252 degrees. That's a good 20 degrees hotter than with my unmodified burn pot. It's on low now and reading 140. Not bad! I'll be interested to see what the temps are with the cast iron pot....(Assuming I buy it)

Chan

Thanks Chan

Did u put the High Temp foil over the air wash slit with 5 holes punched from a screw driver? That may make the temps higher. I got the High temp foil at Home Depot for $15

Attachments

• MagnumBabyCountrySide (6)sc.jpg
    MagnumBabyCountrySide (6)sc.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 488
The part numbers I posted are direct from Duane at AES fyi specific to my Baby. I installed and have been running the two speed fan, it helped with the burn problems. I cannot use the cast pot (darn it!) as my model is a bit different, it has the pot without sides. The cradle has holes in the sides, I plugged those some time ago. Stove has been running good except high temp cutouts where the comb fan stops, Duane and I are trouble shooting that this weekend. Currently the stove is running with the pof snap jumped to see if that is bad or the thermal protector on the motor is tripping, it works up to 3, 4 or 5 eventually trips it. Nice weather to be testing I guess!

Don, no I left it as it was. I was afraid if I restricted the airflow there, my window would get dirty real quick. I also noticed that the burn pot in the picture is different than mine. I'll take a picture of mine when I clean the stove tomorrow. I do not have a continuos lip around the pot. Do you know what year that stove is? Mine is a 2005, I believe.

Czech, do you know what year yours is? They made some substantial changes year to year.

Chan

Yes I'm intrigued by that pot also.take pics of the pot if you could. My baby is a 2006 model and I would really like to know if the pot will fit before I invest in it.

Will do. I'll post it tomorrow evening :)

Chan

CWR said:
Don, no I left it as it was. I was afraid if I restricted the airflow there, my window would get dirty real quick. I also noticed that the burn pot in the picture is different than mine. I'll take a picture of mine when I clean the stove tomorrow. I do not have a continuos lip around the pot. Do you know what year that stove is? Mine is a 2005, I believe.

Czech, do you know what year yours is? They made some substantial changes year to year.

Chan

Hi Chan

I am guessing it is 2006 or 07 but not exactly sure.

If you do not have that continuous lip then maybe you do not really need the air wash modification.
The modification on the Magnum forum site says that on some baby countryside stoves too much air was going thru the air wash and not into the burn pot causing a lazy fire.

CWR said:

Chan

Mine is June 2005. Here's the two pots, corn on the left, pellet on the right. They snap into the cradle.

Attachments

• babypots.jpg
    babypots.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 470
Wow! Czech, yours is WAY different than mine or Dons. I have never seen one like that. It's a Baby? Don, I saw that on the AES forum. I guess it would be a simple matter to just pop some tape of the slot, punch a couple of holes in it and see what happens.

Chan

CWR said:
Wow! Czech, yours is WAY different than mine or Dons. I have never seen one like that. It's a Baby? Don, I saw that on the AES forum. I guess it would be a simple matter to just pop some tape of the slot, punch a couple of holes in it and see what happens.

Chan

At least that's who answered the phone when I called the number on the back! I did confirm that it is the thermal cutout on the comb fan that is giving me trouble, so if anyone is looking at upgrading to the two speed that I posted you may want to wait until I figure this out.

Hello

By the way, do either of you guys take the Lo Limit Switch out of the exhaust housing once in a while to clean it?

If the one I replaced was kept clean, then maybe it would still be good. It had a mound of ash on it which may have kept it from closing and made the auger stop running!!!

Don, I haven't taken it out since I replaced mine. The switch should be sealed so the soot shouldn't affect it. The switch I replaced tested good on the bench but when it had a load attached to it, it didn't work. I got mine from Graingers too.

Chan

CWR said:
Don, I haven't taken it out since I replaced mine. The switch should be sealed so the soot shouldn't affect it. The switch I replaced tested good on the bench but when it had a load attached to it, it didn't work. I got mine from Graingers too.

Chan

Yes, I agree the switch is sealed and not effected, but the outside metal must heat up so the switch will close. Ash acts like insulation and if there is alot on the outside metal then the temp of the switch may not sense the heat as quickly. I think I will try taking the one out of my pelpro and see how dirty it is.

That's true. I misunderstood you :) I would be interested in seeing how much higher the temp has to get before the switch closes when it's covered with ash.

CWR said:
That's true. I misunderstood you :) I would be interested in seeing how much higher the temp has to get before the switch closes when it's covered with ash.

Yes, me too. Maybe the difference would not be great but if the ash is like really caked it could make a difference. Not sure how we could test that. Do you have one of those heat guns for shrink tubing?

Ok, here are a couple of pictures of my burn pot. Dexter, while I had it out today, I drilled out the two bottom most rows. I see a definate improvement. I have it shut down again and I'll drill out the third row.

Now, it looks like there is creosote in my pot but it is just wet ash. I rinse it off in the sink. Boy does it show up with the camera! Notice the gaps at the corners.

If you notice the temps on the last picture, that is on setting 3 after 20 minutes of running.

Don, yes, I have a heat shrink gun...

Attachments

• DSCN0162.jpg
    DSCN0162.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 470
  • DSCN0163.jpg
    DSCN0163.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 530
  • DSCN0166.jpg
    DSCN0166.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 474
  • DSCN0169.jpg
    DSCN0169.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 472
  • DSCN0173.jpg
    DSCN0173.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 517
CWR said:
Ok, here are a couple of pictures of my burn pot. Dexter, while I had it out today, I drilled out the two bottom most rows. I see a definate improvement. I have it shut down again and I'll drill out the third row.

Now, it looks like there is creosote in my pot but it is just wet ash. I rinse it off in the sink. Boy does it show up with the camera! Notice the gaps at the corners.

If you notice the temps on the last picture, that is on setting 3 after 20 minutes of running.

Don, yes, I have a heat shrink gun...[/quote]

Nice pics Chan

I was just thinking that a good test would be to pull out the Lo Limit switch from the exhaust. The heat it with the gun and with a meter see what temp it closes at with the thermoprobe. Then clean it real good and try it again.
I know it is not that easy to get out but it may be worth while to give it a good cleaning.

I may try that with my pelpro when I have time, the Low Limit has been in there for 5 years. I do not have a heat gun so I could just put it in front of my astoria heat tubes on leve 3 which is approx 333 degrees f. :-)

Don, on my next deep cleaning I'll pull the switch off and play with it. I'm thinking there will be a difference but I'm guessing it won't be huge and it may be the same, just might take a little more time before it trips. It will be interesting to see.

Chan

Yep that's the right pot....I actually just modded mine with foil tape on the outside of the pot and smeared some high temp gasket adhesive along the joint....cheap and easy and easily reversed if I want to burn corn. I'm running the jumper on 1-2 for pellets. I think I found out about the jumper settings on one of my many google searches!!!

Glad you got it going!!!

Hello
I am replacing a control panel on another friends Magnum BabyCountryside AC that had a hopper fire. The xformer on the board must be shot because no power and the fuse is good!
See > > https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...side-ac-hopper-fire-a-bad-one-question.90845/
The new board has the jumper set to 3 & 4 so I will move it to pins 1 & 2. The Magnum TSB also says it will work better with wood pellets on 1 & 2.

See AES Technical Bulletin # T-0009 Date of Issue 01/12/2006, Update July 2008
http://www.americanenergysystems.com/Stock/LibraryFiles/T-0009TechBPlacementofTri-ModeModuleChip_TMC_.pdf

TSB above States:
The TMC needs to be placed over the 1 & 2 pins for the MagnuM Baby Countryside models (BC-AC & BC-DC, factory default setting for wood pellets) if you are burning wood pellets only and need a little more heat.

TMC = The Tri-Mode Module chip is located on the top left side of the control board (looking at the board from the back.)

Attachments

• ReplacementmagnumBCcontrolBoard (1).JPG
    ReplacementmagnumBCcontrolBoard (1).JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 284
  • ReplacementmagnumBCcontrolBoard (2)ya.jpg
    ReplacementmagnumBCcontrolBoard (2)ya.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 301
Status
Not open for further replies.