Magnum Baby CountrySide stove video shows big corn clinker!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Strange video on Magnum BabyCountrySide burning corn!

See biscuit circled in Red below. Does this stove really work for corn?

Maybe it has to be 50/50 mix?

Attachments

• Magnum Baby CountrySide stove video shows big corn clinker!
    CornBiscuit.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 311
Don that stove will burn corn well.

You know this stove has an air flow problem. So he has a stock stove that does not have a burn pot mod or an air wash mod.

Also corn builds up. It is not a pellet. The sugar doea not break down and unlike the Big Countryside, the Baby Countryside does not have an agitator. So the clinker should be removed every 12 hrs. It looks like he is not removing the clinker and lets it build up..

This is one of the Dumb @ss people that think they just fill the hopper. The damper is prob incorrectly set and his corn prob has a very high moisture content. All things that will give a corn burner a poor experience.

My Quad has no agaitator and it burns corn pretty good. But after 12-24 hrs, it needs to be shut down and clinker dropped to ash pan.

I seen that video last year and couldnt believe it... My buddies Baby burns awesome. Heats about 1,200 sq on level 3 (on a stat High/Low or On/Off) never needs more than that. But he has a burn pot mod (top 2 rows front and back are tig welded and air-wash mod.

Dont believe everything you see or read. Some people expect a lot out of something for nothing. A little time and energy and that Baby would be a fantastic stove..

My Baby was a corn burning mamajama before putting some time and energy into it to make it a pellet burning mamajama. These stoves were originally designed as corn burners and do it well. A little gasket material here and there and they are an efficient little unit. A high output combustion blower and a few burn pot mods and they become a fire breathing mini dragon!!

My Baby was a corn burning mamajama before putting some time and energy into it to make it a pellet burning mamajama. These stoves were originally designed as corn burners and do it well. A little gasket material here and there and they are an efficient little unit. A high output combustion blower and a few burn pot mods and they become a fire breathing mini dragon!!

Question for corn burning.
Should the upper 2 rows of holes be open for burning corn?

I am using the corn pot as is from the factory with great results burning corn. I think it helps to have the air up there as the corn seems to build up and then collapses as it burns complete.

I am using the corn pot as is from the factory with great results burning corn. I think it helps to have the air up there as the corn seems to build up and then collapses as it burns complete.

Hi Jrsdws

Thanks for the info.

Do you get big Biscuits like in the video?

Don, thats a clinker. That is the by-product of burning corn. Corn does not fully burn like pellets.

The clinker is aided by either mixing with pellets, or adding "chicken scratch", or oyster shells. To help break up the corn a little. Magnum sells a product to add to the hopper when burning straight corn. Its prob similar to a Chicken scratch.....

They may call that a biscuit, but they are also very naive and the owners in that video know very little about the operation a pellet/corn stove. Simply put... Some people shouldn't own a stove. Your threads about house fires prove that.

This guy seems to have zero to no mechanical ability. The doors are an easy fix, the handle is supposed to be loose (close door and it tightens), and his maturity level is obviously very low because of how he laughs at his frozen pipes and frozen dog water (what does the dog drink? Um humane? )And the end of the video shows that he is not removing the clinker. Twice daily it needs removed. This guy didnt RTFM!!

People just think you add pellets, light, and let go all year. Along with not reading the manual and having a half-a$$ installation. It adds up to stupidity and then an accident happens..... Just cause there smart enough to upload a video to YouTube, doesnt make them a Corn King or Pellet Professional. Some people are not cut out for it. They are clearly one of them that is not.

Ok folks, chicken scratch is generally a feed mix that contains cracked corn and at least two other grain seeds, it is relatively low in protein, usually the primary feed for roosters and a treat for the ladies. It should never be given in quantity to layers.

Crushed oyster shell is also given to layer chickens as a source of calcium in order to promote strong eggshells and should not be given to roosters as it will overload their kidneys.

Chickens also get grit, charcoal, and salt. The grit is given only if there aren't any small pebbles in their run or near to their range area, this is usually crushed granite pebbles, and they are fed other than mash or pellets. The other two on a free choice basis.

What gets used to help with clinkers is any of several sources of calcium. Thus, oyster shell would be what you are calling chicken scratch.

Crushed limestone or pelleted lime can be used in place of oyster shell.

Some stoves have what is called a biscuit cutter for burning high sugar fuels, this allows a lever to be pulled to cut off the bottom of the clinker so it can then be dumped in the ash pan.

This cutter can also be automatically operated by the stove. Absent a biscuit cutter one has to remove any clinker based upon burn rate and sugar content the hard way.

The purpose is always to allow proper air flow through the fuel pile to maintain proper combustion.

The party that posted that you tube video is a statistic waiting to happen.

'nuff said.

Reactions: DexterDay
I don't get too big of a klinker in my Baby, but I take the time to give it a good stir every so often....three times a day or so. I get a little more complete burn. I have seen guys take wire clothes hangers and fashion themselves a "klinker tool" that sits down in the pot and has a handle out and above so the klinker forms on that and they can just lift it out and drop a new one in and keep burning. The corn burners forum has lots of information on this.

I don't get too big of a klinker in my Baby, but I take the time to give it a good stir every so often....three times a day or so. I get a little more complete burn. I have seen guys take wire clothes hangers and fashion themselves a "klinker tool" that sits down in the pot and has a handle out and above so the klinker forms on that and they can just lift it out and drop a new one in and keep burning. The corn burners forum has lots of information on this.

Hi jrsdws

Nice trick. Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.