Mahindra 4540

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We received 5-6 inches of wet heavy snow overnight so I did our driveway and the neighbors too. After some lunch, I did some roof raking and plowing some trails around the house (not pictured) so the dog would have a place we could walk it.

The power is starting to go on and off
101_2074.JPG

Attachments

• 101_2076.JPG
    101_2076.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 213
  • 101_2075.JPG
    101_2075.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 197
Looks like you had a little fun. The last few days here have been pretty cold with about 3 to 5 inches dropped on us. Now we're going to get 40's and 50's and rain. Can't catch a break this winter/fall.

Looks like you had a little fun. The last few days here have been pretty cold with about 3 to 5 inches dropped on us. Now we're going to get 40's and 50's and rain. Can't catch a break this winter/fall.
AccuWeather is calling for a quarter of an inch of rain on Sunday, it should be a big mess here.

The Mahindra has a happy home now though so that's a good thing. We had 8.4" of precip in November so yeah, it's been lousy.
It's much happier since the new garage went up, that clearing snow off it got old. We had a very dry spring & summer but the fall was very wet.

The 8.4 is alot for you, isn't it?

It's much happier since the new garage went up, that clearing snow off it got old. We had a very dry spring & summer but the fall was very wet.

The 8.4 is alot for you, isn't it?

Yes normal November is about 3-3.5". Had a wet Oct too. NOAA says the Northeast is going to see more rain in the years to come so maybe a new normal??

Yes normal November is about 3-3.5". Had a wet Oct too. NOAA says the Northeast is going to see more rain in the years to come so maybe a new normal??
I hope ours is a wetter year than this past spring/summer, the river across the road was the lowest I've seen it since we moved here just over 15 years ago.

Nice work plowing @thewoodlands ! The weather has been messy here as well. More to come according to the weather folks as well. The weather network said Atlantic Canada has a good chance of having an epic winter.

Good to see the new garage is treating you well. As others have mentioned keeping the battery tender on will help a lot with battery life. I now have one for the tractor, 4 wheeler and the lawn tractor. Finally got all the quick connects installed and it’s very convenient.

Nice work plowing @thewoodlands ! The weather has been messy here as well. More to come according to the weather folks as well. The weather network said Atlantic Canada has a good chance of having an epic winter.

Good to see the new garage is treating you well. As others have mentioned keeping the battery tender on will help a lot with battery life. I now have one for the tractor, 4 wheeler and the lawn tractor. Finally got all the quick connects installed and it’s very convenient.
The battery maintainer saved me last year with the very cold temps we had. We received another two inches of snow overnight and we lost power at 5:49 this morning but came on about an hour later.

I'm just heading out after snowblowing, plowing the driveways along with plowing around the new garage.

The backhoe comes off the Mahindra 4540 tomorrow, my plans are to have it on 4 x 4's or 6 x 6's and ratchet the dipper arm back to the platform since it will be in the garage so the dipper arm doesn't extend out and then hit the blocks.

@thewoodlands what was the part you had installed to help you get your temp up in the winter? I am thinking I may want to do it. Also if you remember cost? I know I am in Canada but am estimate would be great.

@thewoodlands what was the part you had installed to help you get your temp up in the winter? I am thinking I may want to do it. Also if you remember cost? I know I am in Canada but am estimate would be great.

Are you sure you don't have a block heater already? Look for a power cord on the side of the engine.

Reactions: Hammy

In the winter I have cardboard I put in front of the radiator which will make the temp come up quicker, but I cut a rectangular hole in it so the radiator gets enough air so it doesn't overheat, so far it hasn't even come close to overheating.

Picture 2077 is the old cardboard I used for a few winters, picture 2078 is the new stuff I bought for this year at Lowe's and the last picture is the info on the sheet except the thickness which you'll need to measure on yours.
The whole size in the cardboard worked great for the 4540 but I might make it a little bigger this year.

I did have a inline restrictor put in the hose coming out the top of the radiator but that wasn't a winter thing, the 4540 coming off the lot wasn't getting up to temp but after the install (15 minute job done here by the dealer) everything is fine. I'm not sure if they charged me because I told them about the temp not coming up about a week after having it.

I also have a heater that I plug in for an hour or more before starting up the tractor depending on the outside temp. I'll get a picture of that tomorrow.

Attachments

• 101_2077.JPG
    101_2077.JPG
    779.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 101_2078.JPG
    101_2078.JPG
    686.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 101_2081.JPG
    101_2081.JPG
    833 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
In the winter I have cardboard I put in front of the radiator which will make the temp come up quicker, but I cut a rectangular hole in it so the radiator gets enough air so it doesn't overheat, so far it hasn't even come close to overheating.

Picture 2077 is the old cardboard I used for a few winters, picture 2078 is the new stuff I bought for this year at Lowe's and the last picture is the info on the sheet except the thickness which you'll need to measure on yours.
The whole size in the cardboard worked great for the 4540 but I might make it a little bigger this year.

I did have a inline restrictor put in the hose coming out the top of the radiator but that wasn't a winter thing, the 4540 coming off the lot wasn't getting up to temp but after the install (15 minute job done here by the dealer) everything is fine. I'm not sure if they charged me because I told them about the temp not coming up about a week after having it.

I also have a heater that I plug in for an hour or more before starting up the tractor depending on the outside temp. I'll get a picture of that tomorrow.

Perfect thanks. It seems to come up to temp ok in the summer. Just can’t get the gauge to move in the winter at all. I will give the cardboard a try.

Are you sure you don't have a block heater already? Look for a power cord on the side of the engine.

I do have a block heater. Even with it plugged in for a day before it won’t move the temp gauge. Hopefully the cardboard works out:)

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah, the block heater is only designed to help it start easier, not raise the engine temp gauge. I usually plug mine in for 2-3 hours if the temp is bitter cold, otherwise it's a good starter with just the glow plugs. Tractors generally have a generous cooling system to keep them from overheating when the radiator and screens get plugged with chaff in the summer time. I wouldn't expect full heat in the winter unless you are really moving serious snow. I know mine doesn't get up to heat, but I am also just pulling snow with a back blade. I can pull about 16" of snow at around 2000 rpm, and it's just not working hard enough to raise the temp gauge by much.

Perfect thanks. It seems to come up to temp ok in the summer. Just can’t get the gauge to move in the winter at all. I will give the cardboard a try.

I do have a block heater. Even with it plugged in for a day before it won’t move the temp gauge. Hopefully the cardboard works out:)

Thanks for the replies guys.
Hammy, what type of tractor do you have and what model # is it? I think you told me before but the CRS is kicking in tonight.

The backhoe is off so plowing and running around with the 4540 just became less expensive after shedding an extra 1000 pounds.

Hammy, what type of tractor do you have and what model # is it? I think you told me before but the CRS is kicking in tonight.

It’s a 2014 Mahindra 4010 HST 38HP. Tried the cardboard with no hole in it yesterday. Worked like a charm. Heated to just below the mid mark. Usually I don’t get that unless I am Bushhoging. I think I will cut a small hole like you had in it and try it out. Thanks for the tip. It seems to working perfect now. Other than a small diesel leak. Might have to change the hose from the tank to the filter.

Yeah, the block heater is only designed to help it start easier, not raise the engine temp gauge. I usually plug mine in for 2-3 hours if the temp is bitter cold, otherwise it's a good starter with just the glow plugs. Tractors generally have a generous cooling system to keep them from overheating when the radiator and screens get plugged with chaff in the summer time. I wouldn't expect full heat in the winter unless you are really moving serious snow. I know mine doesn't get up to heat, but I am also just pulling snow with a back blade. I can pull about 16" of snow at around 2000 rpm, and it's just not working hard enough to raise the temp gauge by much.

Yeah figured the block heater wouldn’t do much for overall temp but it certainly makes the tractor start easy. I have a 6’ rear blade I use for snow removal as well. Doesn’t work the tractor hard at all. Especially since I don’t have chains on. Have to tick that off the list eventually.

Thank you both for the input.

I do have a block heater. Even with it plugged in for a day before it won’t move the temp gauge.:)

Most likely the temp measured is coolant temp. I don't envy you guys that enough really cold days to need a block heater. Hoping this winter is on the mild side.

Most likely the temp measured is coolant temp. I don't envy you guys that enough really cold days to need a block heater. Hoping this winter is on the mild side.
@jatoxico , did you just jinx us up here in Northern New York. ==c

@jatoxico , did you just jinx us up here in Northern New York. ==c
Uhh wasn't me, some other guy did that...

It's 60 F here today but still misting after an overnight early morning rain. Fired up with unidentified hardwood but must be in the poplar family. Very light and quick burning but good for today.

It’s a 2014 Mahindra 4010 HST 38HP. Tried the cardboard with no hole in it yesterday. Worked like a charm. Heated to just below the mid mark. Usually I don’t get that unless I am Bushhoging. I think I will cut a small hole like you had in it and try it out. Thanks for the tip. It seems to working perfect now. Other than a small diesel leak. Might have to change the hose from the tank to the filter.

Yeah figured the block heater wouldn’t do much for overall temp but it certainly makes the tractor start easy. I have a 6’ rear blade I use for snow removal as well. Doesn’t work the tractor hard at all. Especially since I don’t have chains on. Have to tick that off the list eventually.

Thank you both for the input.
I'm glad it's working but I would have it with the hole in it. Does the 4010 just run cool in the winter or does run col in the summer? If runs cool in the summer the restrictor they put on my machine would change that.

It's been raining here pretty good all day so I'm waiting some before I go and scrape the driveway down, one weather site has us getting over half an inch of rain today. I have a small tree down in the brook so I'll need to figure a way to get it out without getting wet.

Uhh wasn't me, some other guy did that...

It's 60 F here today but still misting after an overnight early morning rain. Fired up with unidentified hardwood but must be in the poplar family. Very light and quick burning but good for today.
We're in the 40's so I won't complain and tomorrow we'll get the same temps during the day but at night we'll drop below 20 so the driveway will have some ice.

Tomorrow we'll finally start getting the work tables up in the new garage with shelves underneath. If it's not raining real hard tomorrow, we might change plans and remove a small tree from the brook just above the bridge on our road, I hope I can stay dry.

After it stopped raining this afternoon, I removed the slush from our driveway.

In pictures 2083 & 84 we have a few small trees down across the brook where the ice did damage last winter. Off the bank on our side, the water is up to my waist so if I can't pull them out from our side then I call my neighbor who usually lets us do it from her side.

The rest of the pictures are from going back in the woods to a certain point, the trail could've been worse.

Attachments

• 101_2082.JPG
    101_2082.JPG
    992.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 101_2083.JPG
    101_2083.JPG
    869.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 101_2084.JPG
    101_2084.JPG
    842.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 101_2085.JPG
    101_2085.JPG
    968.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 101_2086.JPG
    101_2086.JPG
    939.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 101_2087.JPG
    101_2087.JPG
    927.1 KB · Views: 180
It was raining hard so I didn't take the camera but we (the wife helped) took the trees in the Brook out this morning with the Mahindra 4540 with a cable,d-shackles,snatch blocks with two tree savers. Once I made a cut in the trees it was very easy to drag them up the bank with the tractor.

The rain has turned over to snow so I'm heading back out so I can check our property for any downed trees across the trails.