Mahindra 4540

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Most people don't know how hard it is on you feet hips and back to work on a concrete floor all day. Moving around all day in a pair of work boots on a warehouse, factory, or plant floor s rough on the body. Beats it up just like working in the mud all day. Those hard surfaces have no give or cushion. The aches and pain really suck. Thewoodlands hear anything about the truck?
Di-electric boots have been killing me lately, I have to figure something out here with these, my feet, knee's and left hip have been aching for the past few weeks.

The Dr Scholls inserts are worth a try. I have 3 sets of them, now that I know they work for me. They are $50 a pair, and they aren't the end all be all answer for everyone or every condition, but they don't require a doctor's visit. Just find one of their machines at Walmart or a drug store and it's that easy. I recommend you do the fitting process at least twice so you know you have the correct insole. The fitting part is free.Best of luck with finding some relief!

The Dr Scholls inserts are worth a try. I have 3 sets of them, now that I know they work for me. They are $50 a pair, and they aren't the end all be all answer for everyone or every condition, but they don't require a doctor's visit. Just find one of their machines at Walmart or a drug store and it's that easy. I recommend you do the fitting process at least twice so you know you have the correct insole. The fitting part is free.Best of luck with finding some relief!
Any pain I had is gone but I still will try the new ones from the doc first, next time I'm in Walmart I'll look for the machine.

I tried to get some from the Veterans Affairs, but they aren't set up for foot orthotics/insoles. I paid out of pocket for custom insoles and they feel pretty good, but they require occasional re-fitting. It's free, but it's kind of inconvenient for me.

Reactions: Hammy
What are the Dr.Scholls inserts made of that you have? The Spenco inserts I have are a hard plastic on the bottom with a soft foam on the top.

Reactions: Hammy and Todd67
They have a hard plastic piece surrounded by a gel-type of foam. The machine/computer matches your foot shape to one of their pre-made insoles.

IMG_20181209_091137.jpg

IMG_20181209_091204.jpg

Kennyp2339 those Di-electric boot get old this time of year. The mud snow sliding around makes for a long day in those. I know the reason they want us to wear them, but some days they just get bothersome. I had a buddy that would wear tennis shoes under them, worked out till we had to climb. I know around here they are trying to get something passed with muck boot for some winter water proof boot that is do-electric, but we will see how that goes.

Reactions: Hammy and Todd67
Most farmers that I know in northern NY swear by Muck Boots for barn work AND outdoor work. It's the only boot they will wear, both on the job and off the job. That's gotta say something about those boots!

I put five gallons of diesel in the 4540 later this afternoon after I roof raked some of the house, I pulled that snow away from the garage door so I could push it up the bank. Since I had the tractor out I plowed a walking trail and moved some snow back off the driveway in certain areas.

The codes on my truck came up telling them it was the catalytic converter so they cleared the codes and they'll check it again tomorrow morning.

The codes on my truck came up telling them it was the catalytic converter so they cleared the codes and they'll check it again tomorrow morning.

Was the check engine light on?

Was the check engine light on?
Yes it was. It would actually put the truck in limp mode.

It's been a tough week on equipment with the truck going down first, my 310 chainsaw would run and then stop, it's been in twice this year for the same problem. Today I tried to start the snowblower we just had serviced (ran fine after we brought it back) but today it would start but after you started to go, it would stop. After the snowblower the wife gave me a shout out that the carbon monoxide detector went off, we were running the pellet stove so I shut that down.

I did have the cojones to start the tractor for about a hours worth of work, that worked. We did order the replacement carbon monoxide detector online since Lowe's said they didn't carry that model so I went in to buy one that plugs in until the other one comes in.

Last edited:
Wow, not good!

Since I was outside, I decided to clean the wood stove pipe on the outside (21 feet) not much came out so that went in the plus column

Having a clean chimney is a plus. I clean mine every September. It doesn't soot up that much at all. 21 feet of class A 6" insulated double wall.

Sorry to hear about your luck. That is usually how it works though when it rains it pours. Hopefully the carbon monoxide detector was just defective, everything else can be repaired. At least the tractor was good!

Save on the sweep pay on the truck. Easy come easy go. How old is the truck?
The dealership told me it was covered under a extended warranty by Ford on that part, I'm not sure who pays for the labor but I'll find out tomorrow morning. The truck is just over 10 years old, the warranty was for 11 years or a certain number of miles which were under for both.

The dealership told me it was covered under a extended warranty by Ford on that part, I'm not sure who pays for the labor but I'll find out tomorrow morning. The truck is just over 10 years old, the warranty was for 11 years or a certain number of miles which were under for both.
Nice. Minimum on the cat is 8yr or 80K so if you're getting a new one that's a score. 02 sensors may be needed somewhere along the way if the don't change them now but they're peanuts compared to the cat.

That's another positive, the emission stuff on vehicles is such a problem. I'm all for a better environment, but some of the stuff they put on vehicles today gets to be a headache.

Sorry to hear about your luck. That is usually how it works though when it rains it pours. Hopefully the carbon monoxide detector was just defective, everything else can be repaired. At least the tractor was good!
When I was talking with the worker at Lowe's, he was telling me the CO detector we had has a memory so if you take the battery out, unhook and take it outside in the fresh air it could reset itself, I did that after getting home tonight and its worked so far.

The two new CO detectors are plugged in, the older one which is hardwired with a battery backup is 15 years old so it might be showing its age since none of the new ones went off.

Last edited:
When I was talking with the worker at Lowe's, he was telling me the CO detector we had has a memory so if you take the battery out, unhook and take it outside in the fresh air it could reset itself, I did that after getting home tonight and it's worked so far.

The two new CO detectors are plugged in, the older one which is hardwired with a battery backup is 15 years old so it might be showing its age since none of the new ones went off.

This is one of the two we bought tonight.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/First-Alert-Dc-Plug-in-Carbon-Monoxide-Detector-Battery-Back-Up/1000460503

Reactions: Todd67
That's another positive, the emission stuff on vehicles is such a problem. I'm all for a better environment, but some of the stuff they put on vehicles today gets to be a headache.
I did forget to mention that the roof rake started up without any problems, thank the lord my arms still work.:)

Reactions: Todd67 and jatoxico
I'll be using my roof rake this week on my garage:confused:

Reactions: thewoodlands