Mahindra 4540

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Guess that was the rain we had Saturday night into Sunday. It was kind of a miserable steady mist w/o much wind and no snow. I saw the cold is pushing down and temps are going to drop here by this evening.

Enjoy and stay safe, it will be there tomorrow.

Pictures 2083 & 84 are before and 2088 & 89 are after we pulled them out of the Brook. The water was pushing the trees to the right so I cut from the left so the water would open up that side, I cut straight through without a notch.

Attachments

• 101_2083.JPG
    101_2083.JPG
    869.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 101_2084.JPG
    101_2084.JPG
    842.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 101_2088.JPG
    101_2088.JPG
    877.5 KB · Views: 194
  • 101_2089.JPG
    101_2089.JPG
    820 KB · Views: 195
Most likely the temp measured is coolant temp. I don't envy you guys that enough really cold days to need a block heater. Hoping this winter is on the mild side.

Yup mine measures coolant temp.

I'm glad it's working but I would have it with the hole in it. Does the 4010 just run cool in the winter or does run col in the summer? If runs cool in the summer the restrictor they put on my machine would change that.

It's been raining here pretty good all day so I'm waiting some before I go and scrape the driveway down, one weather site has us getting over half an inch of rain today. I have a small tree down in the brook so I'll need to figure a way to get it out without getting wet.

I will cut a hole in it before I give it another run for sure. Just wanted to test it out. Mine reads between 1/4 and 1/2 on the temp gauge in the summer when it’s working. Usually around 1/4 when doing anything but Bushhoging. How low was yours when you put in the restrictor?

@Hammy , on the hottest day it would just touch the green and that was working it pretty good pulling stumps. That was before the restrictor was put in.

Reactions: Hammy
A lot of us stove guys have IR thermometers. Can use that to shoot for some temps with that I would think. Upper hose for instance.

@Hammy , on the hottest day it would just touch the green and that was working it pretty good pulling stumps. That was before the restrictor was put in.

Mine doesn’t have a green and the manual just says between C and H:). I will have to look into it a bit further in the summer. For now the cardboard looks like it will solve the problem. Thanks.

A lot of us stove guys have IR thermometers. Can use that to shoot for some temps with that I would think. Upper hose for instance.

I will have to pick one up in the summer and look into it. Thanks for the idea and help

We had a ton of ice in the Brook near this tree it started to take down, I would have used the tractor but that side of the Brook (neighbor's property) stays wet for a very long time so once the water warmed up some, we used the rhino with the winch. Before we did that we put some smaller pines down on the bank so it would roll on them, it worked out fine after limbing it up.We did cut the tree into three sections before dragging it out.
@Hammy , @jatoxico , @heavy hammer , @Sodbuster
101_1116.JPG

Last edited:
Think I've said it before @thewoodlands but you're having way too much fun with the toys! And I know I shouldn't be, but I'm still surprised to hear you talking about ice and see that much snow.
That picture was from January of 2018 but since the Brook is not very deep, it freezes from the bottom up so we get a bunch of ice every year. The ice our neighbor gets pushed up on her property by the Brook is crazy, the banks on our side are much higher than our neighbors, we get more tree damage because a previous owner cleared most of the trees by the Brook in a certain area which is illegal if it's a Brook.

Nice work as always @thewoodlands . I think you have the cleanest forest of anybody I know:). Hope mine will be that way one day.
I wish Hammy, it's either the bugs or mother nature killing or knocking down the trees. We have areas that I don't bother with the downed trees, the areas are a huge mess . One of the areas I leave them down with the hopes it will help control the erosion on that hill.

This past week my buddies parents had their property cleared of all the dead or dying ash trees. Ten trees turned into over 100.

image.jpeg
This was Friday six truck loads. On sat I was able to get three more before I had enough of the rain. I didn't have a chance to get a updated pic yet. When ever it stops raining, or gets cold I can move it to the woods with the tractor. What's still amazing there is three times this amount left. I'm about four years ahead now. Me and a buddy are going to final cleaning up their lot with his big dump and mini excavator.

This past week my buddies parents had their property cleared of all the dead or dying ash trees. Ten trees turned into over 100.
It sucks that we are losing most of our ash trees because of the EAB. Nice work on getting that wood out @heavy hammer , that will make for some nice fires.

Being fours years ahead is a nice feeling. I remember many years ago when I finally had two years worth of wood in inventory and thought that was a big deal.

I had planned on burning some junk pine in the outdoor fireplace today but the truck had problems when we went for a ride this morning, we made it back to our house but it was an adventure. I think it's the alternator ( battery light would come on), you could go a certain distance and then you had nothing. We were lucky that it started back up so when we made it home we made a call to the dealer and then to AAA.

After the truck was gone I cut up some downed branches across some walking trails, I went to grab the camera but left it inside. Since we have a winter weather advisory for our area, we put two loads of yellow birch, sugar maple and soft maple in. I think the 4-8 inches of snow will stay 20 miles south of us but if it shifts north we have enough wood for over a week.

I did push some snowbanks back along the driveway and then plowed a few new areas that I'll push snow when we get it so the sides of the driveway doesn't get crowded .

What is wrong with the truck? Hope it is not down for long. The ash epidemic is very sad I dropped five trees at my place this year because of all the ash dying. One was right near my out building and I figured it was time before it fell on it. I'm hoping to get the rest out of my friends parents soon, like I said there is probably three times that still there. I'm starting to get far enough ahead that I don't want what I have to just start rotting, but they live less than five miles from my house and 90 percent of it is the perfect size to just cut to length and let season, very little needs split. They wanted around their house cleaned up and figured it was time to just get rid of them most were dead, but the others that weren't were not far behind. A sad thing but plenty of firewood for many for years to come.

What is wrong with the truck? Hope it is not down for long. The ash epidemic is very sad I dropped five trees at my place this year because of all the ash dying. One was right near my out building and I figured it was time before it fell on it. I'm hoping to get the rest out of my friends parents soon, like I said there is probably three times that still there. I'm starting to get far enough ahead that I don't want what I have to just start rotting, but they live less than five miles from my house and 90 percent of it is the perfect size to just cut to length and let season, very little needs split. They wanted around their house cleaned up and figured it was time to just get rid of them most were dead, but the others that weren't were not far behind. A sad thing but plenty of firewood for many for years to come.
Hopefully we get the answer tomorrow, we'll have had the truck (bought new) for ten years this coming spring.

I have a bunch of ash on the hill out back that I wanted down but with the plantar fasciitis , I'm behind. If I work a day in the woods then the next day is a semi day off so it doesn't get back to what it felt like a little over a month ago. I do have another appointment with the Podiatrist coming up so we'll see what she says.I'm being fitted for some Orthotic inserts. The Spenco inserts she recommended made a huge difference but we'll see what these feel like.

The tractor is running good so that's a positive, it's time for a grease job on the 4540.

Hopefully we get the answer tomorrow, we'll have had the truck (bought new) for ten years this coming spring.

I have a bunch of ash on the hill out back that I wanted down but with the plantar fasciitis , I'm behind. If I work a day in the woods then the next day is a semi day off so it doesn't get back to what it felt like a little over a month ago. I do have another appointment with the Podiatrist coming up so we'll see what she says.I'm being fitted for some Orthotic inserts. The Spenco inserts she recommended made a huge difference but we'll see what these feel like.

The tractor is running good so that's a positive, it's time for a grease job on the 4540.

I have severe plantar fasciitis from serving 20 years in the Army Light Infantry. The custom orthotic insoles that I had made for me work ok, but the best orthotic for me has been the Dr Scholl's insoles from the computer/machine at Walmart. You stand on the machine with just your socks on and it matches your feet to one of their insoles. I did the fitting process 3 separate times to make sure the computer was consistent. They aren't perfect, but I can work on my feet all day and have much less foot pain than I had with other insoles.

I have severe plantar fasciitis from serving 20 years in the Army Light Infantry. The custom orthotic insoles that I had made for me work ok, but the best orthotic for me has been the Dr Scholl's insoles from the computer/machine at Walmart. You stand on the machine with just your socks on and it matches your feet to one of their insoles. I did the fitting process 3 separate times to make sure the computer was consistent. They aren't perfect, but I can work on my feet all day and have much less foot pain than I had with other insoles.
I'm glad they're working for you, that's what the Spenco inserts did for me. I don't have any pain after working in the woods or the garage but it does feel different compared to my other foot.

Thank you for your service.

I'm glad they're working for you, that's what the Spenco inserts did for me. I don't have any pain after working in the woods or the garage but it does feel different compared to my other foot.

Thank you for your service.

I used Spenco insoles in the 90's, with good results. Do you wear insoles in both shoes? Sounds like a stupid question, but some people only have issues with one foot. Both of my feet are equally messed up.

I used Spenco insoles in the 90's, with good results. Do you wear insoles in both shoes? Sounds like a stupid question, but some people only have issues with one foot. Both of my feet are equally messed up.
Yes, I wear them in both shoes but only had problems with my left foot. My father had a few problems with his feet from working on the cement while working for GM while wearing work boots.

Most people don't know how hard it is on you feet hips and back to work on a concrete floor all day. Moving around all day in a pair of work boots on a warehouse, factory, or plant floor s rough on the body. Beats it up just like working in the mud all day. Those hard surfaces have no give or cushion. The aches and pain really suck. Thewoodlands hear anything about the truck?

Reactions: Hammy and Todd67
Yes, I wear them in both shoes but only had problems with my left foot. My father had a few problems with his feet from working on the cement while working for GM while wearing work boots.

Hard floors really take a toll on the feet, especially in standard work boots.

@Hammy , I finally put that white corrugated chit in front of the radiator with the same size hole in it this afternoon, this was the highest the temp got when I was plowing. From yesterday until this morning we received another 3 - 4 inches of the white stuff.

Attachments

• 101_2106.JPG
    101_2106.JPG
    816.3 KB · Views: 172