Mahindra 4540

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It has been a workhorse for us, we bought ours in 2016 and the only time it has been at the dealer is for fluid changes.

Check your fluids and grease it when the good book says, we bought a LockNLube grease coupler which makes greasing the tractor easier. I'll check and see if we have the extended or the extra reach. I bought the grease gun with the coupler.

Funny funny funny. I had just looked up the lock and lube. That is going to be the next purchase.

Funny funny funny. I had just looked up the lock and lube. That is going to be the next purchase.
One of the things the dealer did for us was after I noticed the 4540 temp was always low, they put in what I call a flow restrictor in the line coming out of the top of the radiator, it comes up to temp nice after they did that.

How's your temp on the newer 4540? We also put a battery maintainer on our battery, we can get some cold ass temps up here, 20 to 40 below and we use it for plowing the driveway.

I had read about the temp issues with the 4540 and that was the first ting I made sure to watch. It comes into the green like it should. So it looks like that issue has been taken care of either out of the factory or by the dealer. I have thought about a battery maintainer also just to keep it ready to go.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Thewoodlands hit it right on the head. I have done nothing to my 2540 other than routine maintenance. Nice tractor purchase. I hope you are very happy with your new machine. It will make your life much easier.

Thewoodlands hit it right on the head. I have done nothing to my 2540 other than routine maintenance. Nice tractor purchase. I hope you are very happy with your new machine. It will make your life much easier.
I appreciate it, thank you. We knew a tractor was going to be necessary and put it off as long as we thought we could and with all the shortages of everything we figured now was a good time.

Resized_20220924_160143_3010.jpegResized_20220924_160147_2375.jpegI was able to put some time on the tractor. It has been a busy year but I'm still getting it done.

It helps with everything. It makes moving firewood and logs much easier. I'm very happy I purchased it.

My wife thought the grapple would be an expensive toy. The first thing I did with it was to pull a huge poison oak out of a live oak we wanted to keep and move it to a pile. She was really impressed with that. I leave the grapple on the tractor and only put on pallet forks or bucket when I have specific needs.

You might be able to if the pile was big enough but probably wouldn't work out that well. It is very nice for firewood and cleaning the woods up.

We are supposed to get some here I think only about 3 inches, but you never know when that snow machine starts. 3 inches can lead to more than a foot. I'm sure most on here are ready and very prepared for the snow, everyone be safe.

We are supposed to get some here I think only about 3 inches, but you never know when that snow machine starts. 3 inches can lead to more than a foot. I'm sure most on here are ready and very prepared for the snow, everyone be safe.
We received some today but not much, late tomorrow night the lake effect starts. We're pretty close to getting 8-12 (just west of us on tonight's map) that same map has us getting 6-8.
1668653813246.png

Reactions: heavy hammer
The 4540 is full of diesel and ready to go, it looks like mother nature will put down a good amount of snow in our area.

We're in the 12 - 18 inch zone and not far from the 18 - 24 zone. Today we did pickup 8 more bags of pellets, put in two loads of ash and one load of pine. We had a five gallon diesel and gas can empty so we filled those and a tank of propane for the gas grill and then I cleaned the saw I used today.

1668721462250.png

I didn't need the extra 900 pounds on the back of the tractor today, four inches at the most.

IMG_0353.jpg

we only ended up witha a few inches but farther east got hit with close to 18 inches. We had one of our lines trip so I had to go east to work and a 45 min drive ended up being 3.5 hours with traffic and snow.

They dropped the rain totals for Friday down to 0.44 from around 0.75 of an inch, I plowed/scrapped out our and the neighbors driveway, hopefully we see some gravel on both driveways before the rain hits.

With the storm coming in later this week with rain, snow and ice, our driveway could look like a skating rink so today I made sure the 3 point sander was greased and ready to go.

We did put in two loads of ash today, we might put in another three loads tomorrow that way if we get hit by the storm, we won't have to worry about firewood, just downed trees and power.

It looks like it could get interesting for a few days. As long as the winds are not to bad. I don't want to see people without power over Christmas. It seems like every storm lately brings some kind of strong wind. We had a few blow throughs a couple of weeks ago.

It looks like it could get interesting for a few days. As long as the winds are not to bad. I don't want to see people without power over Christmas. It seems like every storm lately brings some kind of strong wind. We had a few blow throughs a couple of weeks ago.
I'm hoping power stays on for everyone too, the last storm hit Northern NY pretty hard with power outages.

We have been having a rough time here as well. Last storm did a fair amount of damage. Plus no one wants to have to get called in on Christmas.

We have been having a rough time here as well. Last storm did a fair amount of damage. Plus no one wants to have to get called in on Christmas.
Nope, it's always nice when you're home for Christmas with family.

It isn't sounding good, this is from NOAA for our area except for the heavy lake-effect.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Tuesday through Sunday.

Strong low pressure will affect the region late Thursday into
Saturday morning. Potential is increasing for strong, possibly
damaging wind gusts, river flooding, and flash freeze conditions.
Saturday into Sunday heavy lake-effect snow is possible downwind of
Lake Ontario.

All we can do is wait and see what happens. Load up on firewood and get ready.