Mahindra 4540

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
All we can do is wait and see what happens. Load up on firewood and get ready.
We put in some today with more going in tomorrow, those big ole pines around the house were rocking the last storm and also lost some branches....the last place I want to be is under them getting firewood during high winds.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I'll be doing the same here. I cut and filled the kindling barrel yesterday afternoon and I'll make sure the garage is full and both stoves are ready to go some cold temps for a few days.

Reactions: thewoodlands
After my first cup of coffee, I went out to the garage and plugged the block heater in on the tractor. Once the second cup was gone, I dressed for the day (cold & windy) and plowed three driveways.

I'm guessing we received between 6 to 7 inches of sugar snow and there was plenty of water from the rains underneath it.

After my first cup of coffee, I went out to the garage and plugged the block heater in on the tractor. Once the second cup was gone, I dressed for the day (cold & windy) and plowed three driveways.

I'm guessing we received between 6 to 7 inches of sugar snow and there was plenty of water from the rains underneath it.
Figured you folks would've been cold enough to get all snow,

The temp dropped from around 50 to 25 over about 2 hours here on LI (got down to 10 overnight). No snow though, all the precipitation was over before the temp dropped.

Guess the warm temps were more widespread that I realized. It was more or less the same for my son who lives in Glens Falls now which is pretty high up in NY by my standards.

Figured you folks would've been cold enough to get all snow,

The temp dropped from around 50 to 25 over about 2 hours here on LI (got down to 10 overnight). No snow though, all the precipitation was over before the temp dropped.

Guess the warm temps were more widespread that I realized. It was more or less the same for my son who lives in Glens Falls now which is pretty high up in NY by my standards.
They were calling for lake effect for our area but it looks like it split us, today it looks like the worst of it is along the St. Lawrence River.

Last year the end of December and all of January were real cold, it looks like we're in for a warm up and some rain in the first week of January.

Glenns Falls, the birthplace of the "Hacksaw".

I've spent the last two days plowing some driveways and getting the walking trails around the house opened up along with moving snow from certain places since we have some warmer weather coming in.

The attached pictures are some trails I plowed yesterday, I guess I didn't get any after pics.

IMG_0452.jpg IMG_0453.jpg IMG_0454.jpg IMG_0455.jpg IMG_0456.jpg

I was able to refill the garage using my tractor today. It is frozen enough to not destroy the yard. Like you said warmer temps and rain coming so I figured put a little time on it before the thaw. thewoodlands, you guys have a good Christmas, no power outages?

I was able to refill the garage using my tractor today. It is frozen enough to not destroy the yard. Like you said warmer temps and rain coming so I figured put a little time on it before the thaw. thewoodlands, you guys have a good Christmas, no power outages?
No outages for us, the snow we received this last storm was sugar snow and not the heavy wet snow like the previous storm.

The winds were bad but we only had one flicker, Merry Christmas to you and your family.

We never lost power but there was enough outages where they kept us working till noon yesterday. Everyone is back with power so it is a good thing. It was real cold so I feel for anyone without power/heat. Mwerry Christmas to you guys as well.

Poor folks in western NY got pounded with snow wind and lost power. And right during the holiday.

Poor folks in western NY got pounded with snow wind and lost power. And right during the holiday.
They sure did, the last I saw they had reported 28 dead from the storm, some froze in their vehicles (if the reporting is correct) it sounds like a bunch of people died from snow blowing and shoveling.

So far no snow plowing this winter we have about 6" accumulated
But we did have a week of - 40 C or colder

The cold and wind from this storm were brutal. I felt bad for people without power but it was not fun being out in it.

We received another 4 inches of snow overnight, my plan for today was moving snow and get ready for a big melt. It can melt down in the woods instead of the front yard.

The third and fifth picture are a before and after and the last picture you can see the snow I pushed down into the woods.

104_3407.JPG 104_3408.JPG 104_3409.JPG 104_3411.JPG 104_3412.JPG 104_3413.JPG

In a couple of days you will have slush and mud. I wouldn't mind if these temps stayed for awhile keep things frozen.

In a couple of days you will have slush and mud. I wouldn't mind if these temps stayed for awhile keep things frozen.
I would rather have the colder weather too. A town not far from us already had a ice jam that caused flooding for some houses along the river.

This melt with the rain should have the rivers, brooks and creeks full of water.

It is making a mess of things as we speak here. I was able to was my truck and get the driveway cleared, but I wish mother nature would just make up her mind and stay cold. Temps next week had Tuesday at 60.

It is making a mess of things as we speak here. I was able to was my truck and get the driveway cleared, but I wish mother nature would just make up her mind and stay cold. Temps next week had Tuesday at 60.
I could've used the tractor today but because things softened up overnight, I used the RTV. I removed water and slush from a natural drain without beating up the yard....a few times.

Happy New Year

Happy New year to you as well, We have mud and mild temps here. I'm glad I got my stuff donme when it was still kinda frozen out.

After I picked up five bags of pellets and some groceries, when I got home I put five gallons of diesel in the 4540 and did some plowing, our driveway and the neighbor's and then some trails.

Thewoodlands, you get a lotof snow? we ended up with about 3-4 inches. Cold though low 20's. Supposed to warm up again, I think close to 50 this week.

Thewoodlands, you get a lotof snow? we ended up with about 3-4 inches. Cold though low 20's. Supposed to warm up again, I think close to 50 this week.
Not really, 6 to 7 inches the other day with a chit load of water from the rain underneath, I'll plow a few more areas tomorrow and then put the 3 pt sander on Monday.

Including tonight we have 3 single digit temps but the temps during the day will start warming up, it's actually nice for January for our area.

We could be getting some ice tomorrow afternoon so I'll get the 3 point sander on the 4540 tomorrow.

101_2279.JPG 101_9175-002.JPG

We had a bunch of rain overnight and this morning so I used the 4540 to scrape a bunch of slush off the driveway.

We did get the 3 point sander on yesterday so a little later I'll scrape more slush off (we're still getting some rain) and then sand the driveway.

I did sand the driveway this afternoon with the 3 point sander. The first run I had the gates opened up more then I should've but I adjusted that which worked out well on the rest of the driveway on my second run.

I didn't take the camera since it started raining again just before I went out.