Mahindra 4540

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We had some cold windy weather on Friday, but Saturday was in the 40's and Subnday in the 50's. Rain all day Monday with temps in the 40's going to 60 mid week. Other than keeping the garage filled with dry wood not much new here working a lot and ready for spring. We have not burned through much wood this year but I'm looking forward to processing a lot this spring and summer.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I spent some time today moving snow just off the driveway where I plow the snow when using the RTV to some snow storage areas in the woods.

We still have a few other areas I move snow to that still have plenty of room depending on how March goes.

104_3479.JPG 104_3480.JPG 104_3481.JPG 104_3482.JPG 104_3483.JPG 104_3485.JPG 104_3486.JPG

Reactions: heavy hammer
Just a few pictures of moving more snow, were not in for a huge dump of snow but by moving this snow, it will give me more room for snow in these areas.

104_3487.JPG 104_3488.JPG 104_3489.JPG 104_3491.JPG 104_3492.JPG 104_3493.JPG

I think we received around 7 inches of snow, I used the 4540 opening up the driveway and then the RTV cleaning up certain areas on the driveway and plowing about five trails so the wife can get her walking in.

I'm glad that I moved that snow off the driveway the other day.

IMG_0606.JPG IMG_0607.JPG IMG_0608.JPG IMG_0610.JPG

Almost all of the snow I usually move starting the third week of March is done, I also spent more time cleaning up the area in front of the outside fireplace and plowed a few more trails with the FEL.

104_3494.JPG 104_3495.JPG 104_3496.JPG 104_3497.JPG 104_3498.JPG 104_3499.JPG 104_3500.JPG 104_3501.JPG

With all the snow I have been moving, it was time the tractor and the three point sander were greased, I did that yesterday.

We have not had any snow just rain and slush. Temps have not been bad just windy. I have been working a lot lately. 6-7 tens. Other than keeping the garage filled not much different here just waiting for spring and wanting to start cutting wood. My brother has over 150, 8-10 logs of maple, hickory, and beech that I ready to work on.

We have not had any snow just rain and slush. Temps have not been bad just windy. I have been working a lot lately. 6-7 tens. Other than keeping the garage filled not much different here just waiting for spring and wanting to start cutting wood. My brother has over 150, 8-10 logs of maple, hickory, and beech that I ready to work on.
The work at your brothers will keep use busy. I'll wait and see what we get from this storm and then start on some dead standing pine until the hills lose the snow and ice.

With the rain we received and then the freeze up after, most of the driveway was all ice. Before I sanded the driveway, I used the bucket and shaved some ice off.

I used six bags of sand on the driveway and two more on some paths leading to the woods the wife uses when walking the dog.

In picture 0626 I'm getting ready to shave some ice off, 0627 is after the shaving, 0628 is the sander after two bags were put in and 0629 is after I finished sanding the driveway.

IMG_0626.JPG IMG_0627.JPG IMG_0628.JPG IMG_0629.JPG

I moved a bunch of snow off the driveway again today, once the weather warms up the water runs down the driveway on the southside to the area I removed the snow from. This should help the water from running across the driveway on the corner.

104_3508.JPG 104_3509.JPG 104_3510.JPG 104_3511.JPG 104_3512.JPG

Hopefully this coming week, I'll be on the 4540 pulling some stumps in the area I've been cutting pine.

I'm looking to do some mowing and processing of firewood with the tractor this weekend. We look to have some dry warmer days perfect weather. Have fun pulling stumps, working/playing with the tractor.

Hopefully this coming week, I'll be on the 4540 pulling some stumps in the area I've been cutting pine.
Do you have the backhoe attachment?
Helps to losen around the stump befor trying to pull them,or
Get a crap chain on your saw to cut some of the roots.

Do you have the backhoe attachment?
Helps to losen around the stump befor trying to pull them,or
Get a crap chain on your saw to cut some of the roots.
Yes we do, we bought the tractor with the backhoe new in 2016. We did our own clearing of a chit load of pine trees where the new garage was built in 2018. The attached pictures are of some smaller stumps I pulled from that area.

It sure does help digging way out around the stump first and having the chainsaw with a chitty chain (but sharp) before we had the tractor, we removed the stumps by digging, cutting the roots and pulling them out with a chain with the rhino....it didn't seem that bad back then but add about 14 years on my age since we did it that way and I wouldn't be doing it that way even if we didn't have the tractor.

101_1510.JPG 101_2016.JPG 101_2017.JPG

Pictures 3826, 3827 & 3831 are of the first area I did, you can see the dead root that goes across the trail. The last two pictures are of the last area I did, I was short on time so I didn't get an after picture, I had an appointment that was made about two weeks ago.

The big root in the first picture that I removed will make that part of the trail easier to plow in the winter and run the trail mower through in the summer.

I'll get some pictures of the four dead pine (beetle kill) hopefully on Thursday.

104_3826.JPG 104_3827.JPG 104_3831.JPG 104_3832.JPG 104_3834.JPG

20230625_151904.jpgResized_20230625_151916_3217.jpegPutting the tractor to work moving some 4-5 year plus old locust to the coming winters burn area. I have been saving this for some rewal cold but we just have not had the brutal temps these past few years so I figure since I have more locust than anything I'll split it smaller and mix it in with some of the softer woods. Not a bad problem to have.

View attachment 313640View attachment 313641Putting the tractor to work moving some 4-5 year plus old locust to the coming winters burn area. I have been saving this for some rewal cold but we just have not had the brutal temps these past few years so I figure since I have more locust than anything I'll split it smaller and mix it in with some of the softer woods. Not a bad problem to have.
Nice looking firewood, we haven't had the real bad cold stretches either. Last winter we had one day/night that the temp was minus 29 point something and another 10 or 15 below but that's fine with me.

Hopefully all the pine I c/s/s since spring/summer is ready (15 face) 3 of that we want to save fore the spring but depending on how soon it gets cold, that 3 could turn into more.

We burned 12 face cord of pine last heating season that saved us just a hair under 5 face cord of hardwood, I would take that again this coming heating season.

It looks like we're in for a dry stretch, that will be nice since it seems like it has been raining forever.

thewoodlands, the rain the last few weeks here have been a lot. Most of June was very dry 3 to almost 4 weeks without and rain, but we have made up for it lately. I ended up with 4-5 cords of tulip from my brothers house. Perfect for these cooler falls and early spring. I figured with all the locust I have it will work to supplement some of that in with it so spread it out and burn some of the locust I have had for years. I have more tulip coming along with some ash and beech from my youngest brothers property. I usually want about 10 truck loads of firewood/6-8 cords each year to keep up on my wood. I'm already at 9 and hoping to possible double that.

thewoodlands, the rain the last few weeks here have been a lot. Most of June was very dry 3 to almost 4 weeks without and rain, but we have made up for it lately. I ended up with 4-5 cords of tulip from my brothers house. Perfect for these cooler falls and early spring. I figured with all the locust I have it will work to supplement some of that in with it so spread it out and burn some of the locust I have had for years. I have more tulip coming along with some ash and beech from my youngest brothers property. I usually want about 10 truck loads of firewood/6-8 cords each year to keep up on my wood. I'm already at 9 and hoping to possible double that.
In June in our area, it was really hot early and then cooler which was nice when working outside and then the rains moved in.

We're in a hot stretch but after all the rain, we'll take it. The skeeters aren't a problem but the deer fly are horrible.

I cleaned out the outside fireplace that had ashes in it from the wood stove this winter along with some ashes from some fall fires, the wife wants a fire out there this week.

I pulled some smaller stumps that took one pull because they were rotten, pictures 0758 & 0762, 0766 will need to come down since it's close to a trail the wife uses, 0767 is the biggest stump I pulled (still small) picture 0774 is that area after I finished it, removing the stump in picture 0767 will allow me to keep that trail even wider in the winter and then add another one off of it and the last picture was a rotten stump that took one pull, all the stumps except for the one in picture 0769 went to the hill in the back.

This morning the temp was 44, we'll take a few more before it gets muggy again.

IMG_0758.JPG IMG_0762.JPG IMG_0766.JPG IMG_0768.JPG IMG_0769.JPG IMG_0770.JPG IMG_0774.JPG IMG_0775.JPG IMG_0758.JPG IMG_0762.JPG IMG_0766.JPG IMG_0767.JPG IMG_0769.JPG IMG_0770.JPG IMG_0774.JPG IMG_0775.JPG

Since I haven't used the 4540 much this summer because of the rain, tomorrow it looks like I'll pull 4 or 5 smaller stumps from a few trails and two in one area I store snow.

I removed a total of four stumps with two coming out of a snow storage area and two out of some trails, nothing big but plowing in the winter just got easier in those areas.

Since a few of those areas will see the trail mower, I did use a rake and some loppers on the smaller roots that run all over. I still have a stump in the area in picture 0826 that is close to a big White Pine so I'll get a chitty chain sharp and hand dig around the biggest roots and then cut them, hopefully I can then just pull it without touching the good White Pine roots.

IMG_0820.JPG IMG_0821.JPG IMG_0822.JPG IMG_0823.JPG IMG_0824.JPG IMG_0825.JPG IMG_0826.JPG

With the rains we received last night, we had a bunch of water and heavy wet snow. I moved more snow off the driveway to some snow storage areas.

Yesterday I took the backhoe off, either tomorrow or Saturday, I'll put the three point sander on and then sand certain areas of the driveway.

104_4364.JPG

20240117_175558.jpgI was able to use the tractor last week to move some wood down to the stacking/processing area and bring up a lot of seasoned wood. Temps are back in the 40's and 50's and rain. Everything is a muddy mess right now. I want some freezing temps back I'm sick of the rain and mud.

View attachment 323816I was able to use the tractor last week to move some wood down to the stacking/processing area and bring up a lot of seasoned wood. Temps are back in the 40's and 50's and rain. Everything is a muddy mess right now. I want some freezing temps back I'm sick of the rain and mud.
Yep we go from a ice farm to a mud farm to a dirt farm to a dust farm. All that and more is waiting for you in just 12 months!!