Majestic L36 Fireplace Replacement Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wpchrist

Jan 24, 2019
Mount Pleasant, SC
Hello,

I'm a fireplace renovation newbie and could use some advice.

I have a Majestic Thulman Model No. L36A wood fireplace in my living room. I am currently renovating the living room so the fireplace is nicely exposed (no drywall, no finish floor). I figure this is the time to replace it as the firebrick panels are cracked and the bottom of the unit is rusting through.
My questions are:

1) How do I remove the existing flue pipe? It is triple wall pipe inside a non-insulated chase. Does it have to come out from the top or is there a way to lift the entire length (approximately 12 feet from the flue collar to the chaise top)?

2) What model zero clearance would be a reasonably priced replacement?

3) Do I need to replace the flue pipe with the new firebox?

Thanks! I appreciate any help.

Hello,

I'm a fireplace renovation newbie and could use some advice.

I have a Majestic Thulman Model No. L36A wood fireplace in my living room. I am currently renovating the living room so the fireplace is nicely exposed (no drywall, no finish floor). I figure this is the time to replace it as the firebrick panels are cracked and the bottom of the unit is rusting through.
My questions are:

1) How do I remove the existing flue pipe? It is triple wall pipe inside a non-insulated chase. Does it have to come out from the top or is there a way to lift the entire length (approximately 12 feet from the flue collar to the chaise top)?

2) What model zero clearance would be a reasonably priced replacement?

3) Do I need to replace the flue pipe with the new firebox?

Thanks! I appreciate any help.
You may be able to pull the whole thing out but I usually take it apart in sections. And yes you will replace the chimney also. What type of unit are you looking to get as a replacement? Are you looking for something similar that is just for ambiance or are you looking for something that will provide heat?

I think it would be possible to reuse the chimney provided that it was a product that is properly installed and is listed for use with the new unit being installed. I did a similar job and the triple wall chimney was a listed product and Regency approved it for use with their fireplace. We did have to buy a couple new elbows to make the proper connections as well as some framing modifications but it was all up to code. We even managed to not have to remove the entire chimney from the chase.

The unit and chimney were less than 15 years old and parts are still available. That makes a difference too.