Makes ya think abit..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alot of the new ones aren't getting the benefit of learning from the older guys simply because of technology changing. Like the old saying goes...."There may be some fast loggers and there may be some slow loggers, but half-fast loggers usually don't survive"

As discussed on here many times, it is easy to become over-confident all it takes a blink of an eye and an unplannned change happens. I'm seeing more logging around here then I have in many years so as the article said, more logging = more accidents. Didn't realize though the numbers were that high.

Well, I knew 4 who lost their lives doing this. Knew a few who got hurt pretty bad too. I also worked for a time for a man who many thought he'd never wake up. He was sawing lumber and if my memory is right, it was something like 2 x 10's or similar. Doesn't matter what size. What happened was one got caught in the saw. In those days we all had circular saws and very few had band saws. Anyway, the board naturally got thrown at him and hit him squarely in the face. Don't remember how long he was in a coma or even in the hospital, but it was a long time. Nobody ever thought he'd live through it but he did. Could not work any longer but he was still in the business and he is the one who got me to sawing lumber. That one accident was always foremost in my mind when I started sawing lumber.

The plant I used to work for had the last company logging camp on the east coast and had a company logging crew. They were well trained and had a reasonable OSHA incident rate. When the plant decided to sell the land the loggers had to go find work. Most got hurt soon after going to work for smaller jobbers or as independents. I talked to a few of them and they had the same story, in order to make a buck in the woods they had to learn to cut corners that they never could have cut as employees of a large company It was either take the shortcuts or find a new job.

These days hard to find an actual person that runs a saw and inevitably, they are independents working without insurance or under their spouses insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.