• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Luluiswho

Oct 11, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
2E49894C-A68B-43A6-A174-50D34E265B57.jpeg

Hi guys!

I posted years ago on how to heat a treehouse I owned and you lot were crazy helpful so I’m back to ask your expert opinions on how to make my pristine, never-been-used midcentury hearth functional and efficient (if possible?!)

It’s an enormous, open on three sides hearth that was stuffed with insulation when I first bought the house. It’s never been used obviously but the chimney is in great condition and I’d love to figure out a way to use it while preserving it’s beautiful look. So no inserts. I was thinking ceramic glass with a blower but my local hearth place is saying that still won’t really make it efficient but will it make it useable? What are your thoughts? Please see the picture. Thanks !

Attachments

• FC12921E-EEE6-4CD5-9551-E4BB29CCAF9E.jpeg
    FC12921E-EEE6-4CD5-9551-E4BB29CCAF9E.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 203
Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 230626

Hi guys!

I posted years ago on how to heat a treehouse I owned and you lot were crazy helpful so I’m back to ask your expert opinions on how to make my pristine, never-been-used midcentury hearth functional and efficient (if possible?!)

It’s an enormous, open on three sides hearth that was stuffed with insulation when I first bought the house. It’s never been used obviously but the chimney is in great condition and I’d love to figure out a way to use it while preserving it’s beautiful look. So no inserts. I was thinking ceramic glass with a blower but my local hearth place is saying that still won’t really make it efficient but will it make it useable? What are your thoughts? Please see the picture. Thanks !
It may possibly make it useable. But that is a big maybe. And no it will not be efficient without a stove or insert.

Reactions: Luluiswho
I'd just get some screens or glass made for it and burn a fire every now and then. That thing is gorgeous.

Agreed. If you want an efficient stove, find another place in the house for it, and leave that thing alone!

Anyone else picturing Greg, Marcia, Peter, and Jan sitting around that thing? Maybe not a reference for the under-40 crowd.

I'd just get some screens or glass made for it and burn a fire every now and then. That thing is gorgeous.
I love it as well aesthetically but functionally it isnt very good

Do you mean like it wouldn't even be good for a fire or just that it wont heat well? If I had a fireplace like that and it didn't spill smoke, I'd put my money in high efficiency central heat.
It will almost certainly spill smoke like crazy. You would need something like a 36x36 liner to handle that volume