Making progress on the hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AndrewU

Burning Hunk
Dec 1, 2019
Sedro-Woolley WA
Been a slow process, but got some good progress to show on the new hearth construction.

Tile is all dry fit. Hoping to get that done and be able to lift the stove on it in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200520_170453.jpg
    IMG_20200520_170453.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20200520_170650.jpg
    IMG_20200520_170650.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 149
Looks like a good project! I will be starting our own hearth install in the upcoming months. I hope you post some additional photos along the way.

Definitely. Got some electrical to still do. The hardiplank is only held up by a few screws per piece. There will be lights added in the ceiling, under the mantle and in the floor of the hearth. And need to cut the hole for the fresh air kit.

Very nice I will look forward to the upcoming photos.

The hardiplank is only held up by a few screws per piece.
Is this just temporary? Normally for tiling a screw every 8" is recommended.

Well, after posting the above we had to change plans and work on a bunch of other projects. We’re back to the hearth and finally nearing completion. Got a guy out today to do the install for everything from the ceiling support box on up.

We’ve finished the electrical and have the cutouts for the OAK. A few details left and we can put up the tile on the wall and platform and shelves. Hopefully we’ll get the first fire lit in under 2 weeks.

Oh, FWIW, stack height will be almost exactly 18’ in a perfectly straight run. 14’ of stainless flue and 4 ‘ of double wall stovepipe. Might be +- a couple inches at most. That gets us I think a half a foot or a foot or so above the required height to clear the roof around the chimney. Elevation here is about 180’ above sea level.

Hopefully that will draft well enough. BK requires 15’ minimum for a straight chimney when under 1000’ elevation, so we’re 3’ over that. If we have draft problems I can always have another foot or two added to the top. Stack has the roof braces already as we had to go almost 9’ above the roof due to the 8/12 pitch.