Mammoth wood quandry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Noodling is just cutting along the grain of the wood rather than a normal cross cut. If your blade if sharp it will pull off long strings that look like tangles of noodles. In this context it just means cutting a groove long the whole length of the log.

Backwoods Savage said:
Noodling: A despicable thing to even think of doing!

It is cutting the logs the wrong way rather than the normal way of cutting. Folks do this when they get large logs but I won't be caught doing it! It leaves long chips of wood cutting this way that remind you of noodles.

I hope this helped Tansao.

Sav - why so anti-noodling? If it gets the job done why not?

The reason I like noodling is that it lets me get monster rounds of doug fir split down to size for loading into the truck. I don't pack splitting mauls and wedges. The saw noodles pretty quickly.

The bad is that if your saw is near the ground, the noodles build up and clog the saw. No other bad.

People that don't like noodling seem to be people that don't get into big wood.

I noodled a bunch of oak this week. I think noodling cut faster then the alternative (round sitting flat on the ground vs on its edge). I usually get them started with a noodle cut, and a couple pops with the wedge and they fall to pieces.

Dennis,

What's your beef with noodling?

lukem said:
I noodled a bunch of oak this week. I think noodling cut faster then the alternative (round sitting flat on the ground vs on its edge). I usually get them started with a noodle cut, and a couple pops with the wedge and they fall to pieces.

Dennis,

What's your beef with noodling?

I have to say, since getting my new splitting maul I've not needed to noodle any of the large oak rounds. Two or three whacks and the pop clean in half. With the last trailer load we brought home I did it on all of them just to make loading a bit less painful. I figure I've got to split them down at some point anyway. The maul is simply faster than the saw would be for that job.

Mesuno said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Noodling: A despicable thing to even think of doing!

It is cutting the logs the wrong way rather than the normal way of cutting. Folks do this when they get large logs but I won't be caught doing it! It leaves long chips of wood cutting this way that remind you of noodles.

I hope this helped Tansao.

Sav - why so anti-noodling? If it gets the job done why not?

The chain saw is not designed to be used that way and it is still easier splitting it than noodling it. But each to their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.