Man on Fire Needs Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1200 sq ft house. Half trailer half stick built additions with no insulation to speak of in my one story dwelling. I do have a slight pitched roof with soffit vents and gable end vents in the shallow crawspace above my dwelling. I need to make a decision whether to buy the Englander 13NC or the Endlander 30 NC. My instincts tell me to go with the larger stove as i can always open a window while dressed in shorts and tee-shirt while the other alternative is to be furiously feeding the fire in a sweatshirt, and muckluks.

I really can t afford any other fuel bills if i dedicate myself to the stove, wood, pipe, hearth etc. Limited income, disability etc. I don't think there is a stove out there that can make me regret buying bigger. I'm a tropical guy, and have had big stoves in the past. If it's too hot you close down the vents and suffer creosote build up as a result. If it's too cold you buy cases of Jack Daniels and hope for a thaw. Although Jack daniels does burn it doesn't last long when poured onto the flaming stack of wood. I'm just looking for some sound advice here.

Please feel free to advise me, oh, and the jack Daniels parallel was a joke for those of you without a sense of humor.

Thanks all: Joe from Maine

If you go with the larger stove, just use less wood when you don't need the heat. You don't have to fill it to the gills every time and damper it down. Small hot fires work just fine in big stoves and you have the extra capacity when you need it.

Plus today's stoves tend to burn cleaner at a low to moderate burn so the creosote won't be so much of an issue. If you do have to resort to Jack, at least you'll not be burnin the real expensive stuff - OIL!

Jack Daniels - $10/quart or $40/gallon. Your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.