Mantel shelf

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ccpark0

Hearth Supporter
Apr 15, 2009
KY
I am looking to add a wood mantel shelf above my Jotul Oslo. I am wondering what kind of clearance I need above my stove. My stove pipe goes straight out the back and I have added the rear heatshield. I installed it as close to the wall as I could and still meet Jotul’s specs. I haven’t found anything in the manual about mounting things such as this. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

ccp said:
I am looking to add a wood mantel shelf above my Jotul Oslo. I am wondering what kind of clearance I need above my stove. My stove pipe goes straight out the back and I have added the rear heatshield. I installed it as close to the wall as I could and still meet Jotul’s specs. I haven’t found anything in the manual about mounting things such as this. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Hmm . . . page 18 shows some mantel and trim clearances . . . looks like it depends on the installation and whether it is protected or unprotected material. Also, I'm assuming this install may be similar to the picture in Figure 6 on Page 17?

I am putting in an F500 with the exhaust out the back right now and the manual that came with the stove says 30 inches above the top. That will make your mantel about 5 feet above the hearth, which I think is a good height.

Thanks for the replies. I can't believe that I missed that part of the manual. I had to have looked right at it.

Thanks again.

Another question. I have a very small chip in my enamel, smaller than a pencil eraser. Any ideas how to repair. It is hardly noticeable but I don't want it to spread.

ccp said:
Thanks for the replies. I can't believe that I missed that part of the manual. I had to have looked right at it.

Thanks again.

Another question. I have a very small chip in my enamel, smaller than a pencil eraser. Any ideas how to repair. It is hardly noticeable but I don't want it to spread.

No problem . . . that's what we're here for . . . besides many of us have overlooked things many a time.

As for the enamel . . . I'm unsure . . . not having owned an enamel stove . . .

Jotul makes a little touch up kit. The paint comes in a small vial that has a brush in the cap. Ask your dealer for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.