Mantle is finally finished

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Pencil

Oct 30, 2008
Tipp City, Ohio
Mantle is Made from reclaimed lumber (Oak) from an early 1900's barn. Mostly quartersawn oak, a few worm holes and square cut nail holes. Stained with two coats of golden oak and I used three coats of rub on poly satin. Painted the brick same color as trim in the room.

Attachments

• Pic of Fireplace 2.jpg
    Pic of Fireplace 2.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 760
That's purty!

Nice score on the barn oak. I like seeing the old wood put to good use.

I like how you used the post on the left as a chase for the 'lectricity for your blower.

Peace,
- Sequoia

very nice mantle. i agree on the use of the older wood. ;-P

Beauty. Must make the room. I assume it won't shrint, being so old. Did you do other crafts with any more of the oak?

Nice job. I have some barn beams I make things out of also. Love the character. If you run out of wood you can always burn.......

Very nice work.

I call that recycling with style!

Looks great!!

Ray

maplewood said:
Beauty. Must make the room. I assume it won't shrint, being so old. Did you do other crafts with any more of the oak?

Yes, I have made many items with the wood. Made vanities and cabinets for our bathrooms, 5-board benches, saddle seats and band saw boxes just to name a few things. What I like about the wood is uniqueness of some boards with their square holes from the nails that was once in the board.

Working on stair railing now in the same room as the mantle.

Classy job Bantam - looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.