Masonry thimble through log wall setup help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SFFS47

Oct 25, 2022
Pennsylvania
Hello all!
Been lurking for awhile researching for wood stove setup. Looks to be some great knowledge on this site.

So here's some questions I have. Including pics for some clarity. Have a existing engineered wall thimble around masonry pipe. Like to retain that if possible. Wondering safest way to connect to masonry, stainless single wall with furnace cement? Connect a double wall adapter to that,then add 6-8 increaser? Masonry pipe is just a bit over 8". Stove will be offset from flue connection, was thinking two adjustable 45's. Any direction 8s greatly appreciated.

Stove won't be main source of heat. Have a nice rice coal Keystoker for main winter heat. We would like to use to cut the chill at night for fall and spring and for when the mood hits up and power outages etc. So putting in a new chimney pipe in old chimney isn't in budget now.

IMG_3752.jpg IMG_3753.jpg IMG_3751.jpg IMG_3749.jpg IMG_3842.jpg IMG_3841.jpg

I don't know what brand thimble that is, but most are going to need at least 2" of clearance from any combustible. This thimble appears to be right up against the wood. Removing it and stepping down to a 6" insulated thimble might be able to achieve proper clearances.

This one needs a 13.75" x 13.75" opening.

Reactions: Ashful
I don't know what brand thimble that is, but most are going to need at least 2" of clearance from any combustible. This thimble appears to be right up against the wood. Removing it and stepping down to a 6" insulated thimble might be able to achieve proper clearances.

This one needs a 13.75" x 13.75" opening.
Heres a picture with the frame removed and the space that's around it. At work so can't give exact measurement, but the insulated ring is 2" for reference. Would like to use e siting thimble if possible to save some money. Hoping for some insight if it will work.

IMG_3756.jpg

I don't know the product or if this is homemade, so I can't comment on how safe it is or not. bholler may be able to identify it, but I can not.

It looks like a factory made piece but I don't recognize it at all

Thanks for the responses. I may just remove and bite the bullet and start fresh with new thimble.
That's the safest bet

Is the stovepipe 6"? If so, why an increaser? It may need to stay 6" to meet the thimble's clearance requirements.

Quick question, if you are able to help. Once installed, can I use a duravent double wall adapter and attach a increaesr and run rest of double wall pipe?
Why an increaser? If you need 8" put in an 8" thimble

Thimble would be 8inch to attach to t8 inch Terra cotta. Would need to attach 6 inch stove pipe to it from stove. Just wondering best way to do that.
Then put in a 6" thimble.

Are you replacing the insulated thimble with a new one?

It was suggested, since existing in one in my pictures wasn't recognized. Looking to keep old terracotta setup and add the new thimble, which I am assuming will need to add increaser from stovepipe(6")where I would connect into the new thimble(8"). Because terracotta is 8" into chimney.

It was suggested, since existing in one in my pictures wasn't recognized. Looking to keep old terracotta setup and add the new thimble, which I am assuming will need to add increaser from stovepipe(6")where I would connect into the new thimble(8"). Because terracotta is 8" into chimney.
You would be eliminating the terracotta crock into the chimney and replacing it with the stainless one you then seal it to the clay liner with refractory cement.